UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mud Repellent Dog Beds!

Tempest

I'm after getting some new beds for the hounds as there current ones seem to be a constant mud and hair trap and are constantly in the washing machine :laugh:

They've both got the fabric type donut beds with extra blankets in and when they're damp and muddy the beds seem to get really stinky and constantly need washing so ideally I'm looking for something that is a kind of waterproof, wash down type of bed.

I did get a Danish Designs cover and filled it with a duvet but for some reason it feels really flat and they don't seem to like it compared to their nice big fluffy duvet type beds.

Anyone got any recommendations? :)

My mother is fantastic at needlework and my father a great carpenter. Therefore when I need a new bed I just ask daddy nicely and one turns up. Whether it be a cushion my mum is making or covering foam to fit into the wooden beds she always sews a waterproof cover on first. It doesn’t stop everything but certainly cuts down on the need for washing the bulky cushions quite so regularly. All you need to do then is remove the outer cover for washing. I buy the waterproof fabric from eBay. With p&p 10m works out to be about £30

PM Yeti (Chris Beastly Beast) - the Beasts have some fantastic wipeable/hoseable beds that they actually LIKE rather than those noisy rustly things you sometimes see and dogs are scared of!!

I can't, for the life of me, remember who they are made by at the moment, although it might be on the BeastBlog: www.thebeastlybeasts.co.uk

I replace the duvets in the Danish Design covers every now and then (in fact if you add a new quilt to the old squashed quilt, it will be even thicker). The higher the tog rating, the thicker it will be.

Alternatively, the Fatboy dog beds look great (but pricey). Not sure if they would squish down after a while either.

fatboy_camobed.jpg

Alternatively you could get memory foam (or sofa foam) and cut to size so it fits inside the waterproof cover.

Another idea is a baby cot mattress with a fleece cover on it.

Edited by madmerle

I typed in waterproof beds on e bay and got a wonderful selection and i am very pleased with mine. The inner is flock covered in thick waterproof /plastic stuff and the outer is an easy clean canvas type material. The outer washes and dries really well and the inner obviously stays dry and I wipe it over with disinfectant when I wash the cover.The cover on mine is blue check (there are many others) and stays remarkably clean, It is a large flat bed so I hoover it every time I hoover the room.x

I'm a fan of these danishdesign I've had mine for about 7 years and it's still going strong, very tough waterproof cover, and nice high sides, all you need do is put a blanket in it, it does have a mattress on the bottom but being waterproof it is cold.

Whilst I was googling for that bed I came across a few links to here with previous post about beds :laugh: seems we're quite keen on beds as a discussion topic :laugh: