UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Advise Needed Please

rainedrop

Can anyone offer any advise please. Since we lost Tuppence a few weeks ago, our local rescue centre asked us to foster a 9 year old entire male JRT. He arrived last Tuesday and is a delight. However, he has been coming in from the garden to urinate. He used the dog flap with no issues and goes for his number two's outside fine, but on several occasions has been in the garden, come in and urinated on either the kitchen or lounge carpet. The only other issue we are having is he wakes us up early in the morning, but he is a dream on the lead, with the cats, playing with his toys, doing as he is told etc etc. Any ideas as to why he may be doing this toilet thing, or advise how to sort it please would be gatefully recieved. I think we may end up keeping him you know....... :rolleyes:

The weeing indoors sounds like territory marking. Is he going to be neutered? If so that may well sort it out.

Other than that it might be a case of 'back to basics' with housetraining, so taking him out every hour or so and going outside with him so you can praise when he goes in the right place. Ignore indoor accidents and clean with something like dilute bio washing liquid that takes away the smell completely.

(And where are the pictures.....) :biggrin:

He will be neutered when he has settled a bit. When he first got here he did spray a bit in the lounge and kitchen (with his leg up) and I thought this may be as he could still smell Tuppence, but now he squats to pee in the house which I find odd. I will try the stuff you mentioned and get some pics sorted. :biggrin:

Sounds like marking, but he could also be thinking that you 'go' inside because of previous training. Back to basics, maybe even taking him outside on a lead, so he can't go back indoors until he's 'been' and rewarding wees outside with a small food reward.

I've read of other people having problems with dog doors: apparently some dogs get confused about what's outside and what's inside. I've no personal experience, but the usual recommendation seems to be supervision and rewards for doing it in the right place, as per K9Fran.

awww he is so cute ears as big as his body :biggrin: when I had Roly & Snoopy they were not fully housetrained so I went out with them at intervals especially the last one at night in my PJ's :unsure: & soon as they went lots of praise & a treat they caught on really quickly but sure the neutering will help too as Jack's are terrotorial! As for the early mornings have that too, so pleased to see me at 5am...not mutual :wacko: now if they start nudging me at 5 I get up let them out don't interact at all with them & they go back to sleep for a couple of hours - they don't do it as often now but I always think better they get me up to go for a wee than do it on the floor, although sometimes it is just because they want to say hi mum! Bless 'em :rolleyes:

Thanks for you advice, I have been doing the non interacting thing with him at night and he is getting better. It is enfuriating that I can take him out to wee, stay for ages and then come back in and he goes into the kitchen and does it! At least now it is only in the kitchen. I have a dog flap so he has constant access to the garden and uses it for his number two's, so maybe it is a male thing at the moment. He is gorgeous though, and his ears are huge. :biggrin: He loves to play ball and is really wearing me out as I got so used to Tuppence who did not really play much and towards the end slept most of the time. This little fella is a bit of a shock to the system! :biggrin: