UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Some Good Thoughts For Musky Please

Fee

Musky managed to excel himself this morning. He's always had fairly wobbly legs and a tendency to fall flat on his nose occasionally, but recently we've had a few instances where he has fallen on a smooth or slippery surface and has had problems getting himself up again without help (and he's a big lad, I struggle to get him up by myself) :(

This morning, though, my sympathy just *might* have been challenged a little. I braved the frost and sub-zero temperatures and took Musky for an early walk in the fields. He managed to find a huge deep puddle of iced up water, he adores water and dived in enthusiastically but did one of his nose dives and couldn't get up again. I ended up having to wade in and reach in elbow-deep into icy, muddy water to get my arms underneath him and haul his back end up :ohmy:

Typically, as soon as he was on his feet again he went bombing off quite happily, leaving me dripping, muddy and frozen to the bone :angry: :rolleyes:

Despite him being off my favourite dogs list I would appreciate a few good thoughts for the old bear. He's so happy and full of beans in every other way, but his mobility is getting worse and I have a very bad feeling that his legs will give out completely at some point.

He's on supplements and has a Bioflow collar, and he's on a regime of short frequent walks to try to keep up his muscle tone without him overdoing it too much. Other than that the vet doesn't feel there's much we can do to help him, it's just old age taking its toll on joint and muscles - but if anyone has ideas of anything else we can try I'd be very grateful.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Musky! :rolleyes: :ohno02:

In practical terms, might one of those harnesses that has a handle on the top make him easier to get back on his feet?

I did try one a while back, but unfortunately it's the largest size Ruffdogs do and it's still too tight on him to be comfortable. I'll have a search around and see if there are others that do larger sizes, though, it would definitely help to have something other than muddy wet dog to get hold of!

I did try one a while back, but unfortunately it's the largest size Ruffdogs do and it's still too tight on him to be comfortable. I'll have a search around and see if there are others that do larger sizes, though, it would definitely help to have something other than muddy wet dog to get hold of!

I am sure TRPD could make you one?

Hope you've warmed up now Fee!!!

Jake used to go to hydrotherapy - good exercise as the body is supported and no stress is put on anywhere while the muscle tone is maintained..... And if Musky loves water it may be just the thing for him (and warmer for you thank hauling him out of puddles).