UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Should You Keep A Foster

Katiebob

I could of kept alot of my fosters! Mainly I was extreamly tempted by Jake a completely mad spaniel type(and I don't do spaniels!!!!)..but I knew if I moved from the farm (which I did) he wouldn't settle into a 'normal' home like the others would and therefore my home wasn't the right one for him. He needed someone around most of the time, and really kids to play with and love.

I only kept Cooper because I couldn't imagine a home better than mine, which in my eyes means I was right to keep him.

I am not the right home for my Skye ! She is nervous and hyper and wees everywhere whenever i have visitors and unfortunately I have lots,but.........................she adores me and sticks to me like glue,she has gelled with my other two really well,she seems very happy when there are no visitors,plus the vet thinks she has brain damage and little sight so who would love her like I do? I have frequently thought that she might be better with an older couple in a quiet home but then she puts her head on my knee and sighs with happiness or leaps around in joy when i see her first thing in the morning and I change my mind.It is hard but maybe...........if a perfect home came up I might........let her go but it would have to be perfect or she would have to settle for me!. It is a hard choice to make . x

When Tess arrived here I fell in love with her pretty much instantly. We bonded and I became the only person she trusted and then eventually adored. I struggled for weeks desperately wishing we could keep her but always thinking we're not the right home for her cos she is a very active girl and she should really live with someone who can take her for 4 mile walks over the fields every day, someone who is home most of the time as she has separation anxiety and someone with a dog who will play with her.

Then we went out for the day and my Mum came to let the dogs out. Tess flipped out so much that she managed to snap her harness. Not chew it off - literally just snap it. I still have no idea how she managed that. It was then I realised quite how hard it would be for her to go to another home.

So we're not the perfect owners for Tess in that we're at work and she has a little urban park to walk in rather than fields but I think the right home is more than those things. I honestly think if Tess could talk and anyone had asked her at the time, Would you rather go somewhere else and have all these wonderful things you should have, or would you rather stay here with these people you know and trust, she would have chosen to stay. I would bet my life on it. When a dog has been through what Tess has been through I think security is the most important thing you can offer sometimes. And now she has that other dog to play with (Fin) and, sure sometimes she has a few extra beans to burn off, but nothing that a good play with people she trusts enough to play really really rough with can't cure :)

Guilty as charged I'm afraid :( I should have rehomed Kiera as soon as I got her - a couple of alcies in the park gave her to me. Had I not taken her they would have given her to the "loving home" that would of given them £10 for her :mad: She's a mischievous, headstrong collie cross, who's got bags and bags of energy. She should have gone to agility and flyball from day one, and she should have been in a home that understands collies. But I fell in love with her, and she didn't seem to mind me. Also, apparently she'd had 3 different homes, of which at least 1 abusive one, in her first year of life, before she came here, so that was another reason why I was reluctant to let her go. Dogs don't understand 'fostering', and I didn't want to have to shift her again if I didn't have to.

As it is, she's lived with us for 3 years now, and has calmed down a lot and I think we've now got used to each other's ways. She now knows that the key to 'play' is bringing the ball back, and I know better than to let her off lead if there is any chance that she could come face to face with cats, live stock, what have ya. I 'think' she's settled in well and I wouldn't want to miss her for the world unless the perfect home would come along. I'm not really sure how easy it would be for her to settle somewhere else now though, after having spent 3 years here.

Kiera seems happy, we play a lot, she loves her food and her cuddles, and curls up in bed with me at night, and time permitting I do try and take her out on long walks whenever I can. This gets a bit trickier now, as Malcolm is no longer able to do day long hikes, but I'm increasing distances and effort for her by bringing along her 'chuck-it' which she loves, so for every mile we do, she does 5! :) She (hopefully) will finally get a go at flyball this afternoon and I might now have found an agility club who might have a space after christmas! :)

I think the right home for a sog is where they feel happy, which isn't necessarily what you think they 'should' have.