UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Greyhound Tattoos

Tilly1712

We've had a few threads on here before about greyhound tattoos and pedigrees, but just wondering if anyone can give me some advice please.

Our new grey Cassie has two tattoos; one in each ear and they're green. Does this mean she's Irish bred?

The tattoos are hard to read, particularly because she doesn't like her ears being fondled, but I think her right ear is DBH9. Strangely though, this brings up a dog called "Bettys Hotpot" bred in the UK and only 6 years old, so I don't think that's her :unsure: She's supposed to be 11.

Is there an organisation I can contact, other than searching on the greyhound data website?

Any ideas welcome :flowers:

Having a rummage through the Irish database, which is sometimes a bit more complete, I discovered that there was a second dog called Betty's Hotpot (who'd a thunk??) born in Ireland, and born in May '97, so would be the right age.

I am wondering if the name duplication may have caused hiccups to greyhound-data's database, because if you search for Betty's Hotpot, you only get one dog, not both of them, and there are no ear tattoos recorded for the older dog.

Here they are for what it's worth:

http://www.igb.ie/Greyhounds.aspx?id=BETTYS%20HOTPOT

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=323587 - only the recorded colour is wrong.

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=369508

English greyhounds have a tattoo in one ear which is usually 3 letters and a number (the number is the number of pups in the litter)

Irish dogs have a 3-letter tattoo in the left ear and 2 letters in the right ear. The first letter in the right ear shows the year of birth:

K = 1989 T = 1997 L = 1990 U = 1998 M = 1991 V = 1999 N = 1992 X = 2000 P = 1993 Y = 2001 Q = 1994 Z = 2002 R = 1995 A = 2003 S = 1996 B = 2004 C= and, etc.

I'm not sure what that means for Cassie - having tattoos in both ears with one of them four digits doesn't seem to fit. She's obviously a lady of mystery!

Edited by Fee

Having a rummage through the Irish database, which is sometimes a bit more complete, I discovered that there was a second dog called Betty's Hotpot (who'd a thunk??) born in Ireland, and born in May '97, so would be the right age.

Thanks Victoria, like you say the age is right. Doesn't look like you can search on the Irish database by ear tattoo so no way of being certain :unsure:

Thanks Fee for your info - this fits right with Flyn's tattoo, he's Irish and his right ear letter matches up with the year he was born, but it makes Cassie a strange one. After further inspection the right ear says DB(H or K or X)9 and the left (S?) BX. The right ear is English and the left Irish :wacko: :laugh:

Tracey

we did try to see her ears but as you say she is not to keen.

when I picked her up was told that they had traced her and she was born in Nov.

But as you say she is a little star :wub:

Thanks Kev :flowers: , so maybe she's not Betty's Hotpot :unsure:

Never mind, what's important is that she's happy :biggrin: