UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

At A Loss

loopylass

Hi I have recently given a 10 year old dalmatian a home but he keeps weeing and last night pooing in the house. He's been out all morning and as soon as I brought him in he weed on the hallway carpet. I have tried several ways of getting rid of the ordour, ie washing powder, stain and ordour removers, urine off but he's still doing it on the carpet. He's neutered and such a lovely friendly dog otherwise but this is getting to me now. Please can anyone help?

Sorry I cant help but I do sympathise, my oldie does this too. It can get you down, have you been to the vets to rule out any infections? Clean the area with window cleaner, (the spray type with vinegar) sounds odd but it does work!

Thanks hun. I am booking him in at the vets to see if theres something medically wrong. I will try the window cleaner :)

Firstly, Congratulations of your new addition. :biggrin: Make sure that you use biological washing powder as this breaks down the enzymes in the carpets that the dog goes back to. How long have you had your new boy? Whats his name by the way?

It may be that he is slightly disorientated with his new surroundings? I would definately get him vet checked to be sure, but in the mean time, treat him like a puppy with regard to house training. Take him out every morning on waking (him not you), after every meal and sleep, and before bedtime, and some in between. :) If he does toilet outside, try putting it on command and praising as he does it outside, just to ensure that he does know where he has to 'go'. Do you know what situation he came from? ie was it a home enviroment?

There's another thread on toilet training here which might be helpful: http://www.rykat.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=30482

It sounds (if medical problems are ruled out) as though Yoda isn't yet entirely clear where he is meant to go so teaching him a toilet command (I use "toilet" for both motions, for ours but pepole use different words) as you are doing, staying outside with him while he goes and giving him praise/reward when he goes in the right place, are all good ideas :flowers:

Taking him out often, like you would a pup, as Safneo has said, is good advice :) Good luck.

I've always found I have to go outside with my dogs at first (which is just lovely at 1:00am in the pouring rain :rolleyes: ), so I'm there to give lots of praise when they perform in the right place. Dogs aren't very good at generalising, so even if he was housetrained in his previous home doesn't mean he will necessarily understand where he has to go in a different environment.

I just wondered when you said "he's been out all morning" whether you are shutting him in the garden in the hope he'll 'go' outside rather than in? If so he could be finding that very stressful, which in the end won't help his toilet training.

It is also definitely worth getting a vet check, some male dogs of his age can develop prostate problems (though if he's neutered that is much less likely).

Dallies are prone to uric crystals, usually they begin problems a bit younger than this and I guess the pooing probably wouldn't be related but it might be best to get that checked for specifically. Another thing I thought of is that my dal really hates going out for anyone other than me - as a breed they love to be around people if they know they are there, as they love people and are very curious. Often I have to stand outside with Purdie rather than just in the doorway so she knows she's not going to be shut out. Hope that helps :GroupHug:

Dogs aren't very good at generalising, so even if he was housetrained in his previous home doesn't mean he will necessarily understand where he has to go in a different environment.

That's a really good point. Dallies are particularly bad at generalising.