UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Scottish Consultation On Electric Collars

Kanie

I've just been e-mailed a consultation document from the Scottish Parliament on proposed legislation on the use of electric shock collars. It asks for comments from people involved in training or working with dogs in Scotland.

I thought some of you up in Scotland would welcome the opportunity to put your thoughts accross. Rather than copy the whole document here, if you PM me with your e-mail address, I will do my best to forward you a copy.

Hope that makes sense!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, yes, it's corrrect that any individual can send in their comments about this, I will be doing so :)

Wales is already committed to a ban but Scotland and England are dragging their feet a bit. It would be fantastic if

the ban can be achieved - please guys, do take 15 minutes to write in! :flowers:

Lindsay

xx

Edited by Lindsay

• 1 month later...

I think there should be a total ban on the use of

Electric collars in the who;e of the UK, we are

ment to be a nation of animal lovers but what I

see and read on some of the rescue sites makes

me wonder :angry: and I think these collars would

do more good on some owners than the poor dogs.

• 5 months later...

Wales cannot ban electic collars by themselves, as they dont have a full parliament, just an assembly. This means there are many areas they do not have law making powers over.

But what they can do is pass a vote stating what they wish to be law, and then present it to the UK parliament for ratification as law in Wales only. This is the situation at the moment. However, the UK parliament likely will not be be ratifying the Welsh assembly request for a ban in Wales only. If the Government do introduce e collar legislation, it is more likely to be a ban UK wide. This is being considered at the moment, hence why the Welsh request hasnt been ratified.

However, this means Wales and England only, as the banning of electric collars in Northern Ireland and Scotland is only under the powers of their parliaments.

I think there should be a total ban on the use of

Electric collars in the who;e of the UK, we are

ment to be a nation of animal lovers but what I

see and read on some of the rescue sites makes

me wonder :angry: and I think these collars would

do more good on some owners than the poor dogs.

what rescue sites do you mean?