UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Black List?

Lizzie

This may or may not be controversial but, do rescues cross check among themselves regarding the background of potential families offering homes to rescue animals?

In the light of many recent cases of animal neglect/abuse is there a central database anyone can access to prevent homing to anyone cautioned or convicted of any form of animal cruelty?

Doh! Silly me. :rolleyes:

I should know better, the DPA also looks after the less than savoury characters as well as the good un's.

Suppose if there was that sort of info on them it would impinge on their "human rights". However, if the convictions are reported in newspapers etc and court lists would it be against the DPA to use information already in the public domain?

I think you are OK if they are your personal records Kazz, and charities and businesses are also allowed to keep details of the people they deal with day to day for their own internal use.

What you aren't allowed to do is store personally identifiable data that you don't need for the day to day internal admin of your organisation, or circulate it to other people, if I have that straight. There is lots of stuff on the DPA website about it.

I think it's actually a good thing that this is limited by law. Yes, it seems like a good idea to keep central records of animal abusers, but as rescues don't have official powers to investigate and record, or any formal structure for recording a bad owner, the potential for dodgy records and people getting unjustly or inaccurately listed would be huge. It's bad enough for the government trying to keep tabs on people with criminal convictions.

• 2 weeks later...