UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Another Collie Pup In Urgent Need Of Op

owl

I have already told some rescuers about this pup, to prevent the owner from getting hold of another dog.

Here is the story:

A woman came into the BC rescue shop in Lampeter and said to my friend Kathy who runs it "You must take my dog." She said that the pup had an injured leg 2 weeks ago and was crying all the time and she could not afford a vet. Kathy told her to take the pup straight round to the vet and put it on the rescue a/c, and she would follow her there. She arrived to find the woman had not taken the dog there with her but made an appt for a week on Monday as she was too busy with her children to go sooner. :angry:

Kathy went round and collected the dog, and was told by neighbours that the woman had beaten the pup with an umbrella, and that she had previously dumped her cat somewhere as she decided she wanted a pup instead.

This pup is only 3 months old. The vet did a prelim examination and thought she would have to amputate, but has decided after further x-rays etc that she would prefer not to as the leg is repairable but will need referral as it is a complex fracture which has started to heal all wrong having been left 2 weeks.

We have to make a decision on Monday. We are looking at about a thousand pounds. The smallish BC rescue concerned can provide some, Ceredigion rescue can help a bit, but we just can't raise that kind of money at such short notice. I suggested to Kathy that she calls the Dogs Trust as she knows some people there. She is also calling the local RSPCA to see if they can help and if they will prosecute and try to get a ban.

Owner had the cheek to say she wanted the dog back when it was better. She got told a few home truths.

I'm out of my depth here, never dealt with anything like this before - and Kathy's computer has a dead motherboard otherwise she would be doing all this herself.

PS Just to say that if the RSPCA will act quickly on this, they should pay for treatment as it comes under their remit. But we can't be sure what they will do at this point, so I am doing a belt-and-braces here.

It seems to be the week for expensive operations!!

Our problem at the moment is space, we have 4 empty kennels at the moment but 8 collies coming in on Monday plus at least 5 urgents to come asap.

But as I offered for the merle pup - we'll see what we can do. I hope the RSPCA will take this on board, can't see any reason why not? But if they don't contact me on Monday.

If the dog can come to us we can get this looked at by our Vet, who loves this sort of work and has done some wonderful repairs in the past. The added bonus is he only charges us a fraction of the "going rate" for this type of work (as long as we don't ask every week!!)

I look forward to hearing how things go

Thank you a million times, :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

Our problem is that the main orthopaedic bloke round here is brilliant but doesn't give time/leeway on payment in our experience.

We are really going to breathe down the neck of the RSPCA to get some action but as everyone knows, branches vary and officers vary a LOT.

Just got a call - the rescue organiser in England thanks everyone very much but would prefer to see this through herself with her own orthopaedic vet who can operate on Monday, the day after tomorrow. Transport is available tomorrow. If the RSPCA is prepared to help this will change the whole picture, but knowing our local officer we aren't holding our breath. No time to delay with this one, as the bone has already been knitting back in the wrong position for 2 weeks. Pup has been kept outdoors in back garden. She must be a tough little thing to have survived this long. In spite of all this, she is really friendly and snuggly.

We are about 300 pounds short of target at present but at least we have a bit of leeway with time to pay.

Hosts, I think this can be moved to Dog Chat now?

Sorry didn't get back with the details, only got them late yesterday because no one was certain then which vet was going to operate. It's a tricky one, and yesterday was spent doing more xrays and deciding whether she should be referred on yet again.

However, vet has now decided to go ahead himself and op is today.

Cheques please to:

The Veterinary Centre

271 Reading Road

Henley-on Thames,

RG9 1EL

Please write "for Dora" on back of envelope and back of cheque.

Later today I will PM everyone who offered and explain more about the op. Have to rush out now, sorry.

RSPCA local officers not responding at all, will have to take it further up the line. :angry:

Edited by owl

Very pleased to say that little Dora is doing very well after a 4 1/2 hour operation. She will remain at the vets until the day after tomorrow at least.

The problem is that she needed several pins and she is so little it was hard to find anywhere to put them. Vet decided to try and fit a plate, and if that was unworkable to use a frame. Not sure yet which he ended up doing, but as he was very pleased with the op I expect he got a plate fitted.

I think this one especially touched me as Humphrey had a similar op for severe compound leg fracture when he was the same age, also with plate, except his was front leg.