UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Knocking Down Jumps

lucyandmeg

Meg, my small collie is reasonable fast considering her small stature (18in at the shoulder) and has to jump full height at KC. She has won out of elementary and has a few places in kc and uka to her name. Shes being doing agility for 3 years. (as have i, shes the first dog i've trained - what a baptism of fire!)

Anyway despite being perfectly capable of clear rounds she seems to have got lazy when jumping and tends to knock jumps over. THeres no particular pattern, although it is almost guarenteed that if you tell her to turn left or right after a jump she will have dropped her back feet and knocked the pole over. I've been told i need to give the command earlier, but at her spped i'm just not on the ball enough. Frustratingly we can do all sorts of tight training patterns without a problem. I go to 3 different clubs and she tends to knock loads of poles over in 2 (One outside on grass and another in a woodchip riding school), yet at another she rarely ever knocks a pole(grass again.) Also in competition, one day she may manage clears the other not. I'm not sure how i can teach her to pick her back feet up. She will even knock mini height jumps over sometimes.

I thought about getting her back checked, but she seems ok in every other way and as she can manage it at one club and not the other it makes me think its not physical. (shes 5).

Any ideas? Shes got good weaves and contacts now, so is pretty much on route for clears if she doesn't keep dropping poles, but its so frustrating! :wacko:

My instructor has a dog that is a bit of a demolition dog so she does lots of slow grid work with him to encourage him to pick his feet up and also started giving him a command to pick his feet up when turning tightly.

If you have jumps at home or your clubs are accommadating get them to do a line of jumps with just a bounce between and try and do more box work doing pull throughs all the way round and exaggerate your body language so you really pick her up over the jumps (hope that makes sense)

I would also be tempted to get her back looked at anyway.

Working on the chippings could be affecting her but is the grass different lengths at the other clubs ie is one cut shorter than the other.

my gwp started doing that last year. he had to retire a couple of months after because it turned out he has arthritus in his spine and compression on his sciatic nerve. not saying your dog is neccesarily that bad but worth getting her back checked for definite.

Basically it's something stolen from the horse world where you work on lots of slow jumping over various heights with differing distances between the jumps so the dog gets used to shortening/lengthening it's stride which hopefully then encourages him/her to pick his feet up too.

one thing tho, if you do grids where the dogs bounce (some people call it pounce) ie they dont take a full stride between jumps, you mustnt do too much of it because its very hard work for them. whenever we do it in training we might do that kind of thing 3 or 4 times and thats it. if you have full strides between it wouldnt be such hard work.

actually...how do you walk the distance for a dog? bit easyer with horses..