UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What To Feed For Firmer Poo

one.eyed.dog

I currently feed Lottie Chappie dried or at the weekend raw with rice and veg. I have noticed when she has raw her poo is firmer but, I worry the balence is not right which is why I tend to keep to dried in the week.

She had to have her anal glands emptied at the weekend and I am thinking if I can find a dried to firm her up a bit it would solve the blocked glands problems.

Any ideas. I can't afford to be paying £30+ a month for a sack of food though.

We use Robbie's - it's dehydrated and we add water to it. It's solved Riley's anal gland problems (touch wood). It's quite expensive initially, but a bag will last us nearly 3 months so it works out OK.

Alternatively I've always heard good things about Autarky - that was next on the list to try if Robbie's didn't work.

I chaanged Max over to ew, because he had always loose poos and i tried nearly every dry food on the market :wacko:

The raw feeding is not that difficult and he looks absolutely stunning now, compared to before and it is much easier to controle the consitency of his poo.

You could try just giving her raw chicken drumsticks twice a week, as bones firm the poo up too.

What a lovely subject :wacko: :rolleyes:

I do feed her raw at the weekends but, I would rather she had the dried in the week until I am confident in getting the raw mix right. Also, I do not have enough room to store weeks of meat so I can conveniently get it out the night before.

Just phoned pets@home and Burgess Superdog sensitive is £17.99 for a 15kg sack.

Jacky, is there a feed place in Macc that may do this cheaper? Can you remember what that place on the Moss is called

Edited by one.eyed.dog

I think I'll try the Burgess. £17.99 is good.

Will the rice I am giving her help at all. I only ask as she seems to really like it.

My vet told me if I feed raw chicken they need wormed about once a month as they can get tape worm. Any one know about that one.

Ive never heard of that one in 7 years of raw feeding...

Yes if you reguarly fed something like wild rabbit, that would be wormy.

My dogs only get a vetinary wormer once a YEAR unless they have had wild rabbit, they get a herbal wormer once a month which is far less harmful to their insides (and if they do have worms BOY does it work) - i cant actually recall the last time any of mine showed signs of having worms (although id be surprised if they didnt have the odd one, but then it is in the nature of dogs and worms for dogs to naturally carry a small worm burden, its the way parasites and hosts work).