UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Website Up, Down, In, Out,

cycas

Yesterday, I had to move the Oldies Club website from one server to another. I moved everything, but it was taking the domain name a little while to get itself sorted out so I couldn't test everything properly, and planned to do that this morning.

Today, our server hosting company has come down with a major case of the hiccups.

These two things are unrelated, but annoying! So, the website might not be there because of the network outage, or if it is there, it might have a few holes in it because I broke something moving it and haven't been able to check yet.

It's sort of there at the moment, but not 100%. Unfortunately (in several senses) we are taking my parents in law out this evening, so if the network thing isn't sorted this afternoon, it might go on being *slightly* broken (if it is broken, which I don't know) till tomorrow.

If you understood any of that you may have a gold star, and please do explain it to me...

Thank you for clearing that up, Victoria, it might have been quite confusing otherwise :wacko: :wacko: :laugh:

I can't get in at all at the moment. I get a very stern message saying "Forbidden" :mecry:

You are obviously not worthy enough as I am on the website as we speak :D :D

Thanks for the info Victoria :flowers:

Cindy

:unsure: I (very stupidly) did some updates this morning which have now disappeared, Victoria. Should I not re-do them until tomorrow, or is it OK to do them now? (I can see the website at the moment but a few minutes ago I was forbidden, like Fee!).

I think things are starting to stabilise again, although all my hair is now standing on end...

Anyone who has access to the OC committee forum or is on the web team, please check that you are seeing the new version, not the old one, before you post any vital info...

Jo, I think it would be safest to give it one more day. You should be seeing the latest version now, but earlier on I was getting a sort of insane drunken DNS thing where it was swerving madly between the old one and the new one. I think their DNS had actually fallen over (which is a bit worrying, I don't want that happening again ever!) and all the domains were swinging about madly like compasses that had forgotten where North was.

Edited by cycas

I think things are starting to stabilise again, although all my hair is now standing on end...

Anyone who has access to the OC committee forum or is on the web team, please check that you are seeing the new version, not the old one, before you post any vital info...

Jo, I think it would be safest to give it one more day. You should be seeing the latest version now, but earlier on I was getting a sort of insane drunken DNS thing where it was swerving madly between the old one and the new one. I think their DNS had actually fallen over (which is a bit worrying, I don't want that happening again ever!) and all the domains were swinging about madly like compasses that had forgotten where North was.

Oh. :unsure: I feel quite sea-sick after reading that. :wacko: :laugh:

Looks to be working fine to me. But whilst on the subject of the website 'cos I'm sad, notice & wonder about these things :rolleyes: can anyone tell me why the number on the rehomed dogs pages is always one less than the number of Dogs rehomed - who and where is the missing doggie? :mecry:

Edited by Ian

Looks to be working fine to me. But whilst on the subject of the website 'cos I'm sad, notice & wonder about these things :rolleyes: can anyone tell me why the number on the rehomed dogs pages is always one less than the number of Dogs rehomed - who and where is the missing doggie? :mecry:

I've often wondered that too :questionmark:

The reason for the missing dog is that the first time we rehomed a pair of dogs, I dutifully went in and tweaked the code so that it reported the number of dogs rehomed correctly - ie, one more than the number of dog pages, as the category at that time had one page that had two dogs on it.

Then things got a bit busy, and I think that several pairs have been rehomed since then, but I haven't done the code tweaking to reflect it. I should probably reset things so that the two numbers are the same, so as to reduce confusion!

The reason for the missing dog is that the first time we rehomed a pair of dogs, I dutifully went in and tweaked the code so that it reported the number of dogs rehomed correctly - ie, one more than the number of dog pages, as the category at that time had one page that had two dogs on it.

Then things got a bit busy, and I think that several pairs have been rehomed since then, but I haven't done the code tweaking to reflect it. I should probably reset things so that the two numbers are the same, so as to reduce confusion!

Thanks for that - curiosity cured. But could these pairs tip the 1000? :unsure: coz then I might have won :laughingsmiley: