UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Failed Fosterer

libby

hi everyone, feeling down today. had to return a dog i was fostering because he caused so much damage to my home.

he is a 14 year old sweetie, but sadly couldn't be left. nothing in his history warned of this.

today i'm feeling sorry for him, and scared that he's going to be okay.

just thought i'd say hi.

not sure if i will be able to foster again, part of me says 'get back on the horse nw' and part of me says, i didn't do such a good job, so don't try.

have a good day.

me

Hi Libby :wavey: and welcometo the Refuge :flowers:

Don't feel bad, sometimes fosters don't work out and by having the dog staying with you the rescue now know more about him :GroupHug: I had a foster staying who we were told was fine being left but she trashed the house, so at least we could be more specific about the kind of home she needed.

don't feel bad,at least you tried and gave him a chance. x Not all dogs fit in all homes and that goes for fostering and adopting. Someone out there probably has the facilities to keep him where he can't trash everything but will be perfectly happy and as Wendy said at least the rescue now have valuable information on him. We all stumble at hurdles sometimes but don't let it put you off. Please foster another needy one,there is one that will suit you and fosterers are so valuable x

Hi Libby, and welcome :wavey:

As Wendy and Cher have said, dont let it put you off, the rescue now have good info about the dog. Im sorry about the trashing, Ive been there with my own dogs, and I know how soul destroyed you must feel :GroupHug:

A dog I fostered turned out to be very un-cat-friendly, and I have the scar to prove it, but at least we now know he cant be rehomed with small furries :rolleyes: :laugh:

When youre ready to foster again another needy dog will benefit from the love and care you can give to help him on his way to a new life :flowers:

Please try not to take it to heart, foster homes can fail just as forever homes can fail. With all the best planning in the world a certain amount remains guess work, and you never know 100% what you are getting.

The next one could be fabulous and you could be the change in his life that he needs.

Get back on that horse :flowers:

First of all a big :GroupHug: for you and welcome to the refuge.

You haven't failed at all, you have given the rescue some very valuable information that will help this dog in the future. :flowers:

My eldest daughter and her partner saw an advert for rehoming a JRT. They went and saw her, asked all the right questions and were lied to. They now have a little dog that cannot be left because her severe SA. They love her to bits and wouldn't part with her. They are lucky, because of their circumstanses she is never left. (They have tried everything with no sucess)

They now say that was the reason the owners were getting rid of her. :angry:

But if they had gone through a rescue where she had been fostered (as yours was) they would have known and been prepared. Instead they had some rather large bills to cover the damage done by their dog.

With different people than my daughter and her partner it could have turned out a lot worse for their little JRT. :(

I do hope that you will give fostering another try when you are ready.

Edited by greys mum

Oh Libby I really sympathise with you. :GroupHug: Im going through a similar thing at the moment. I have taken on a puppy for 2 weeks, as a foster/favour, and its not working out at all. (My oldie cant tolerate her, Im spending every waking hour trying to keep them apart.)But at least I know I wont be able to foster puppies, and have learnt from it. Im sure you will be able to foster again, lots of :GroupHug: in the meantime. And like everyone else has said, you have given the rescue invaluable information, so you have helped enormously.

I feel for you as well :flowers: We've been there :(

We adopted a dog who we had for a week before coming to realise that clearly our home and what we were able to offer the dog, was not suitabled.

We were homechecked and had visited the dog beforehand at the rescue centre so seemingly had done everything as per procedure.

Sadly it didn't work out and we were devastated when we had to return her. The rescue centre were vey good and, as others have said, we were then able to supply them with far more information regarding the dogs' needs than was first thought.

She also went back with a lovely new collar and lead and bed to show her friends at the centre :)

I still think about her now and do hope she got the home she deserved.

Please try and move on as best you can. We all learn from our experiences as life moves us forward. If and when the time is right, you'll feel more sure about welcoming another furry friend into your life.

With best wishes :)

Edited by Ruby1Nic

Hi Libby

Don't feel down, sometimes it doesn't work out. My first foster an OES that was really weak and thin when he arrived, turned out to be food aggressive due to him being on the run before he was caught (I assume) and also wouldn't be left at night and I ended up sleeping downstairs with him as he wasn't housetrained. I had to throw the towel in after about 10 days. I felt I'd failed at fostering too but at least by the time he left me to go to a more experienced foster home he had gained his strength and put weight on. I did go on to foster 4 others and I think the first experience gave me a better in sight into what was involved with fostering.

Julie

Hi Libby :wavey: welcome to the Refuge,

I admire people like you who do foster :flowers: without you so many

more dogs would go on to unsuitable homes, passed around adding

more problems and could end up pts :mecry:

I hope you continue to foster as we need special people :flowers:

Big :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Hi Libby and welcome too

Have you noticed that everyone is saying the same thing and that you have not failed in your fostering

Sometimes the dogs we foster just don't work out, however now the rescue has the info that only you could have provided.

So your time wasn't wasted at all.

Next foster you get will be totally different, no two dogs are alike and each of them capture our hearts, I know all the ones I have fostered I really could have kept (however I would now be living in a house full of dogs with no space for me :biggrin: ).

:GroupHug:

Hi Libby,

I can only echo what's been said before please don't feel you've failed in any way at all, if you have then so have dozens of other people on here including myself, in my fostering career I've had to return four dogs due to clashes with my own hounds but then I look at the 15+ that I've successfully fostered and the one I'm fostering now for Wicca weys and I think those aren't too bad odds really.

It was just a bit of bad luck that the one you had to return this one. Please don't let it dishearten you, foster carers are so desperately needed.