UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Underdog Show

boosboss

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What most people probably don't realise is, that Cookie wasn't being aggressive. If she was, she'd had been over that fence and had the cameraman by the short and curlies!!! :biggrin: Pity the judges didn't stop and think before making such stupid comments. :angry:

Casper isn't the only dog that would have reacted like that over the food. Doesn't have to be a rescue dog to have food problems. Who ever thought of that idea should have been the person to lead Casper away from the food.

Was it me, or do other people think that Robson, although a lovely dog, seems to have problems with other dogs?

I am so annoyed that they set the dogs up to fail wtih the food.

I DONT think Caspar is particularly afraid of Huey, i think he finds him hard to read sometimes but i also think if he really DIDNT like being handled the way Huey sometimes does (which is only because Hueys own dog likes that type of handling), he would have bitten him.

You can see that Caspar DOES like Huey, he chooses to go sit on his lap, he isnt running away from him ever, hes always trying to understand what Huey wants.

I think its a bit harsh that Huey has the only dog in the show who actually has real problems, unlike Chump who is just a big puppy, Cookie who is just a staffie, etc etc, Caspar is a funny lookin crossbreed WITH extra issues as well as his natural dogness.... seriously tough challenge there for any handler and even harder under the live studio conditions.

That aside, im annoyed about poor Cookie, clearly frightened by the cameraman and thats put down to her breed which is rubbish of course.

Robson was robbed - I've never had any other dog than a Shepherd but could quite easily take him home.

I'd thought Casper would go - mainly because I wasn't taken with Huey - some of his hand signals seemed confusing to me - was it sit he was after or was he pointing away? or after that Selina & Chump. Casper is a cute little fellow though & I'd be surprised if he doesnt very quickly find a home once the show is over.

I'd like to see Cookie win it now - just because of the bad press staffies get & it might change some perceptions - I didnt see the bit with the camera man - must have been making a drink but he looks friendly enough to me - most staffies I've met have always been so.

Edited by Ian

What most people probably don't realise is, that Cookie wasn't being aggressive. If she was, she'd had been over that fence and had the cameraman by the short and curlies!!! :biggrin: Pity the judges didn't stop and think before making such stupid comments. :angry:

Casper isn't the only dog that would have reacted like that over the food. Doesn't have to be a rescue dog to have food problems. Who ever thought of that idea should have been the person to lead Casper away from the food.

Was it me, or do other people think that Robson, although a lovely dog, seems to have problems with other dogs?

Great post I agree 100% with you.

I was horrified when I saw Huey go to grab the food away from Casper and could see what was going to happen before he even got there. Don't think it necessarily means he is food aggressive, Huey handled that very badly indeed, I also don't think the trainer did much better.

I also agree that Cookie was not being at all aggressive, more defensive or excited from where I was sitting and the comment from Peter Prat enraged me :angry:

Was so pleased that Cookie got through and so want her to win, Staffies need all the good PR they can get right now.

I didn't mean that Casper is afraid of Huey all the time, he does like him - but you can see at some points in their round when Huey just gets too much for him and he spooks and freezes. Also Huey never uses actual commands, just tells Casper what to do as if he could speak english. Putting that food out there was a stupid idea. A huge hunk of cheese like that could make any dog protective... another comment was something along the lines of "They should've known better than to put all this food out here with rescue dogs" which isn't much better really, as it implies rescue dogs can't be trusted around food, which many can.

Cookie! :wub:

As many have said already they shouldv'e let her investigate what was behind the shadow. It's all noise with staffies. For those who don't know the breed it sounds terrifying but those who do, they know that staffies only have one growl setting which is loud!

The judges should never stereotype a dog in this situation and I am cross about that :angry:

I am desperate for her to go home with Julia :wub:

Casper should've gone home. Robson so deserved to be in the final. What's wrong with the public!?

Contrary to my thoughts last week I think they are pushing these dogs too far. I hope they take note of the disasterous rounds everyone was having this week and calm it down just a bit.

Still, I think more good than harm is being done overall.

Edited by tegk68

I havent watched any of these but have had regular updates on "cookie" and how shes doing by various non doggy people. The phone went the minute the show finished and what appears to have stuck in the heads of those watching is one rescue dog cant be around food (this is due to them all being starved and walking the streets apparently!) and cookie trying going for the cameraman. Comment quoted to me was something a trainer? judge? said about seeing a "real staffie" or similar. Either way, from what i was told having not watched it (and what is probably going around joe public right now) is that all sbts are evil... Thank you underdog show for not cutting or allowing them to try again and edit it out. I dont care if thats cheating, homes just got even fewer (if that where possible :( )

Sorry ranted :wacko:

Maybe I took it a different way, but Peter said she's a true terrier, and she's doing what terriers do. They see things disappear down holes or whatever, and they are bred to go after it. I thought he was being defensive of Cookie's behaviour, not saying she was doing anything *dangerous* or *wrong*. A yorkie or JRT would probably have behaved the same way, and I took it as that was what he meant. I do hope Julia keeps her, at the beginning of the series she said she was afraid of dogs and she really seems to have bonded with Cookie.

I'm so pleased Cookie and Julia are through. I get the feeling the judges don't like them for some reason, their comments have through the whole thing been very negative and last night down right ignorant. :angry: Julia is a wonderful handler and the way she looked after Cookie was a credit to her.

Also can I just say...a collegue has just come in, and she has previously said she wasn't keen on staffs...she watched last night and is now saying how much she loves Cookie and she had no idea Staffs were that cute and intelligent!! :biggrin:

I agree I think Huey and Casper shouldn't be on anymore. Little Casper isn't 100% happy in the ring.

Maybe I took it a different way, but Peter said she's a true terrier, and she's doing what terriers do. They see things disappear down holes or whatever, and they are bred to go after it. I thought he was being defensive of Cookie's behaviour, not saying she was doing anything *dangerous* or *wrong*. A yorkie or JRT would probably have behaved the same way, and I took it as that was what he meant. I do hope Julia keeps her, at the beginning of the series she said she was afraid of dogs and she really seems to have bonded with Cookie.

Yes, I also took it that way - that Cookie was being defended.

I think that it's important people do see that dogs are dogs - not cute. Maybe I'm seeing it differently but Robson is bouncy, so is Chump, and if those watching who are potential owners are put off by that, then they aren't going to be the right homes...

Casper as far as I know has 2 definite homing possibilities, :biggrin: not only from Julian Clary's mum but also from Donna, who is really fond of him and really wants him.

Overall, I do think the show is positive - it's hard to both entertain (as that's what is has to do to be on tv at all at 8pm and 10pm ) and to be more factual and satisfy everyone. I do think the show has highlighted the plight of rescue dogs ... :cool: ... and the training is reward based which is good to see.

Yes, I also took it that way - that Cookie was being defended.

I took it that way too, but I was worried that the general viewer might not.

However, since Cookie was the first one voted back in, my fears seem to have been unfounded.

I think the judges' comments were made as dog people (even PP). We understand what they meant, but the public might take it differently, according to their preconceptions. But it was live TV and things were not going well. I think we should cut them a bit of slack.

TBH, I think many of the tasks are hard, given the shortness of time. Personally I would take it much more slowly, but I'm very impressed at the level of success that the dogs are achieving in the circumstances. The plate of food was obviously a stupid idea, but let's hope the organisers have learnt from that.

Then again, it is entertainment. As we've seen from the fact that Huey and Casper are still there, many of the viewers don't want to see perfection time after time - they want a laugh and they got it.

From our point of view, it was setting the dogs up to "fail", but I'm not sure the dogs saw it that way - especially Chump.

As for Clive and Albert - I don't know what others were expecting, but when Clive said initially that he'd consider adopting him but it would depend on whether his existing dog accepted him, I imagined something considerably bigger (a lab or something). To see another little terrier with them both was just so right. the best bit of the show for me.

Pam