UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Spaying And Arnica

Dizzycharm

Taiya is being spayed next Monday, and having her hind dew claws removed. I have read somewhere that Arnica can be given before the op and afterwards to help with bruising etc.

Does anyone know how much I should be giving her and for how long (before and after). She is a Sprollie and weighs roughly 18kg.

Thank you for any info.

Ollie (our Greyhound) was rushed in and done a few days before we got her and we used Arnica cream in a tube to put on her belly as she was very badly bruised and it seemed to help bring down the bruising quickly and also seemed to be quite soothing to her, but I am no expert. Good luck to you and Taiya x

Ah something I actually know the answer to as I've just been through this with Jess :laugh:

I spoke to our homeopathic vet before Jess' spay and he recommended Hypericum and Aconite as well as the arnica:

One is for the shock apparently, the other for swelling and the arnica for the bruising I think :wink:

They're all available in the Nelsons range - get the 30c dose and give them 5 days before the spay and continue for 5 days after - give 1 tablet of each 3 times a day :wink:

The effect on Jess was miraculous - she literally had NO bruising after the op and my regular vet said she'd never ever seen a dog that hadn't bruised before :wink:

It definately works!

we used arnica cream on our lad when he was spayed - around the wound site, not on the stiches, it helped bring the bruising down real quickly

I used Arnica gel on Skye when she had a lump removed a few weeks ago to help with the bruising and swelling and my vet recommended it.

Good luck Taiya! :)