UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Canny Collar Or Dogmatic

louisebt

We have 2 Huskies, have tried quite a few collars/harnesses but with no success it was pull,pull,pull, until, we got the Canny collar. Now we go out on walks with very little/no pulling, dogs are much more relaxed and happy(and so are we), also our neighbour has just bought one for their Collie and they say she is a different dog. Granted they don't suit all dogs (nose rubbing etc.), but for us it is no a real pleasure taking them out. :biggrin:

I think I've tried every headcollar invented and a few prototypes besides :wacko: The canny collar is very good. The only problem I have with it is that Purdie has learned that if she slackens the lead and drops her nose, it falls off and ends up as just a big collar around her neck. It is very good generally though, one of the best I've tried. I'm going to get a new one from somewhere in Canada when I can find out the name of it, I tried it on Purdie and it was a fantastic fit on her, another one which does up behind the head, I find these the best type as the dog isn't being pulled to one side like with those that the lead joins to under the chin.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest madmare

I have a very big strong girl and have tried many headcollars. The best by far was the dogmatic. She has never managed to get it off and it never slips or goes in her eyes or rubs in any way.

I've tried just about every head collar now. My least favourite was the horrible leather Dogmatic (took the skin off Dharma's nose even after lots of softening). However, they do the fabric ones now, and I did love the fit of it on her. Maybe I'll try one of those (it's like buying shoes now *lol*). The Canny Collar is what we use now. It's pretty good, has it's downsides but is still better than anything else we've tried so far (and believe me we've tried MANY *lol*). The only thing I don't like about the Canny Collar is that it doesn't offer "power steering" as the lead attaches behind the head rather than under the chin.

For the Moo (Great Dane) and the Boo (braindead large hairy monster) I've taken to using the Sensible Harness. I got it from here

YamaMoo weighs in at about 14 stone and the BooMonster weighs less but pulls on a lead once she sees something she wants to investigate. We say the reason the BooMonsters eyes shine so bright is cos the sunlight has a straight path through from one ear out the other. :rolleyes:

I've used the Dogmatics (leather & fabric) with great success on Yama. The canny collar is a godsend on Boo but useless on Yama. The Sensible Harness worked on both and gives huge amounts more control than any other harness I've tried on either of them and they both appear to prefer it.

I found the halti harness just didn't fit Yama properly and didn't give me full control. Her standard harness that leads from behind her shoulders fits better than the halti but then she pulls which is why I went with a headcollar. The Sensible harness just seems to sit better on her chest and I'm not left wondering if the harness will turn but she won't.

The halti harness fit Boo quite well but her chest and shoulders are more large breed than giant breed and most things fit her better if that makes sense.

I've never used a walkezee harness on them but I'll probably order one for Boo to test it. A side leading harness on her would make walking all three of the horde together that bit easier.

Thanks Uke - that's really interesting, as the Sensible harness looks very similar to the Halti one, but you're saying it sits better (which is what I didn't like about the Halti - it just swung around everywhere and didn't feel secure at all). You're a star, thanks. :flowers:

Hi i have used the canny collar on my dog Lucky and at first it worked wonderfully but he has learn't that he can still pull so on Satarday i bought 2 dogmatics one for him and on for my Greyhound that pulls and lunges and i must say that i am very impressed :biggrin:

I bought the webbing ones and the fit is great no more sore eyes or rubbed sore noses :biggrin:

the canny collar was about £16.00 when i bought one 2yrs ago at the wag and bone show and the dogmatic were £12.99 for a size 1 and £14.99 for a size 3. so price wise nearly the same. :)

I have tried everything on Barnum (GSP) to stop him pulling the Canny Collar is the only thing that works, he is calm and responsive and after using it for a few months I now only need to put it on him on the way out...

They say in the instructions that if it loop drops over the nose to slide an rubber band over the straps to stop them slacking off completely.

Grace

ANyone tried either?, what were your views?

I bought Black Dog head collars at Crufts. They are really great - wide but soft webbing straps, very adjustable so as not to rise up into the dog's eyes, easy chunky clips to do up/undo quickly. I'm impressed!

These are available from

http://www.petperfect.biz/onlineshop/index.php

if you are interested - if you quote PPWWYS as you check out they give 10% to Wiccaweys too.