UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Nail Clipping

Tzumit

I have a set of nail clippers and always had Staffies who have either never bothered about having their nails done or just gave in because it was good for them. My rescue Greyhound is a nightmare! She screams at the top of her voice if you even go near her with the clippers - we have tried all sorts, disguising the clippers, coaxing, calming, praising, cuddling, but absolutely nothing works. It stresses us both out as she screams with absolute fear and it breaks our heart. We were wondering if we should just land on the vet and say - please do her nails and hopefully we could wait outside. Is there something wrong with us? Does anyone else have problems like this? and/or what do you cut your doglets nails with?

Molly, my greyhound, is a nightmare over having her nails clipped. I think a lot of ex-racing greys have been handled pretty roughly in the past, and probably have been hurt when their nails have been clipped. Greyhounds are also complete wimps, which doesn't help.

I'm afraid I'm a coward and have always had Molly's nails done at the vets, but each time it is done she seems to get a bit more stressed and last time even the vet had to give up as she was getting so frantic and throwing herself around so much he couldn't do it safely. It looks like we are going to have to sedate her in future just to get her nails trimmed :(

The disadvantage with getting the vet to do it has been that she now hates the vet completely and utterly. I'm sure that is much more to do with the nail clipping than with any other teatments she has had there.

I think sedation sounds like a good idea - maybe the vet could give you something to sedate her (such as Valium) with so that you could do it at home? :unsure:

I do all mine's and although they don't like it, they put up with it. Taffy growls and bares his teeth at me but doesn't bite (though if he's particularly bad I stick a muzzle on him). I make sure I fuss them lots and cuddle them while I'm doing it and as soon as it's over they get a special treat.