UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Staffs / Staffy Crosses / Bull Breeds Who Do Agility...

staffymonkey

The pointy agility thread - and all the lovely photos on it - has made me smile muchly.

So I thought I'd ask if anyone has any other surprising-and-talented-agility pooches - especially bully types.

I have been toying the idea of trying Maddie with it once she's over her car sickness - and wondered if it's been done before, and if so, are staffs any good!

Photos and comedy naught bully stories very appreciated...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pointy agility thread - and all the lovely photos on it - has made me smile muchly.

So I thought I'd ask if anyone has any other surprising-and-talented-agility pooches - especially bully types.

I have been toying the idea of trying Maddie with it once she's over her car sickness - and wondered if it's been done before, and if so, are staffs any good!

Photos and comedy naught bully stories very appreciated...

There are indeed Staffs in agility and doing very well too ! I will ask on the agility addicts forum for pics for you as well :)

As Patch says, some staffs are very good, although it helps to like the "bull in a china shop" style of agility. (No pun intended.)

No pics but a friend runs a Senior Medium staff - was Midi, then measured Mini, now back up to Medium.

Not the most reliable of dogs, but you can't fault his speed or enthusiasm.

Here`s the first response from Agility Addicts, from Fiona who owns and runs the site :)

bobbyveterans.jpg

Hi Patch,

you're welcome to put this piccie up there - my Bob dog (adopted from Animal Lifeline here in Staffordshire back in '95) having lots of fun in Veteran Jumping last summer when he was 11. He's now coming up to 12 and still loving it!

They can also read more about him at the link below.

Fiona

* Bobby Brindle http://www.agilityaddicts.freeuk.com/aabobby.htm

As well as bull breeds, as I have asked agility addicts peeps for pics of any `un typical` agility dog pics, here we have :

" Here's a picture of my lad Patch - He's a Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen crossed with a Jack Russell

pbgv.jpg

People can read all about him on the Rescue Agility website - he is the February dog. Also remember that the dog that won the Circular Knockout at Crufts last year was a purebred Staffie - Crossguns Thong Song - pet name Tiller

Soraya "

Soraya is a lovely lady and one of her runs last season I consider ` run of the year ` for sheer spectator enjoyment of a dog having a fantastic time with a handler doing agility for all the right reasons in the book :D

Next submitted from Agility Addicts we have :

Img_1123.jpg

My dog is a staffie cross JRT ( we think and just LOVES agility) hope I can get the pic to you. Don’t forget that there was a staffie comp last year

Penny and Maggie

And next we have pics and an article written by a Puli handler who has very kindly sent it to me for every one here :)

-------------------------------------------------------

A light-hearted look at my Pulis and Agility Shows

OR Pulis do what they want when they want

If you are at all self-conscious or embarrass easily DO NOT try to compete in agility with a Puli. You don`t play games with them, they play games with you. They are always one step ahead when it comes to mischief and they have endless imagination. I think the kindest thing I can say about my Pulis and agility is that I never get bored with them. The tricks they get up to in order to avoid a clear round or, to ensure that they just go over the time if they do get a clear round, are endless.

FULL OF SURPRISES

When I stand on the start line with one of my Pulis I literally never know what they are going to do. They might set off at the speed of light in either the right or the wrong direction or they may even sit and have a scratch. They have been known to turn round and contemplate leaving the ring altogether! If they`ve really got it in for me they pathetically try to crawl under the first jump especially when it is a Time, Fault and Out class. The judge at one show actually gave Reiki a Special rosette for doing this - she must have felt so sorry for me! At another show my friend and I tried to run them in the Boxed Pairs and the time ran out before either Puli had managed to negotiate the first obstacle! Again, the judge gave us a Special rosette for the amount of hilarity we had raised!

We have come to the end of excuses for them - it`s too hot, too cold, too wet, too many distractions, heavy coats - the list is endless. When it comes to it a Puli will only do what it wants when it wants.

Shrewsbury_Agility_Show_2005_008.jpg

ELIMINATION EXPERTS

The Pulis are also masters of elimination. Most of the time they don`t over-exert themselves and stay near to me in the ring. So when I walk a course and a group of handlers are stood near a tunnel trap wondering how on earth they are going to prevent their dogs from going through it, I give a pitying smile, knowing that I won’t need to worry. My little darlings won`t possibly go fast enough to take the wrong course. After all, they have just run two classes and been so steady that they ran out of time. But that`s the fun of it. They set off at exactly the same, slow steady pace as their previous runs only to produce an outstanding burst of speed when it comes to the area of control! Another way they try my patience is to get eliminated slowly and then fly round the rest of the course with great speed and accuracy, laughing back as they leap the last obstacle with me puffing and panting yards and yards behind.

THE HERDING INSTINCT

Then the Pulis’ herding instinct has to be taken into consideration. I can`t possibly run round this big ring all by myself unless every single member of our camping group is here with me. Oh great, the A-frame “ I can balance on top of that and check to see where they all are. It`s a pretty good view from this Dogwalk too. Better check that person out when I get near that corner of the ring- it could possibly be one of our gang."

However, it is a different story when my friends are actually watching. You can forget the fact that they want all of their pack to be there. They can`t possibly perform with all those eyes on them “ it`s just too, too much".

Reiki_weaves_Wilton_03.jpg

MY TERRITORY

They can take objection to the judge actually being in the ring with them. If one has the audacity to step too close “ say about six feet away “ when one of my Pulis is doing the weaving poles, it will stop and give an affronted stare at said intruder, ˜Hey what are you doing in my ring “ this is my territory! " Alternatively, they might decide that the judge is the one person they have been waiting to see all day and break off from their agility to go and say hello.

MINDREADERS

However, they seem to sense when I am coming to the end of my tether and ready to announce that I am not wasting my money entering them at any more shows. That`s when they do a cracker of a round or produce a few steady clears. At the Agility Club show Reiki got four clear rounds in her four runs, three actually within the time so we came home with three clear round rosettes. No places, you understand, that might have been too much for me to cope with! The Pulis don`t want me to get overconfident.

At North Derbyshire show I came down with a tummy bug but struggled out of bed on Sunday morning to walk the Open Midi agility class, having been drawn to run first. I staggered round the course with Tosca, hardly knowing what I was doing. However, she did! It was almost as if she put two fingers up and said, ËœWho needs you anyway? " It wasn`t a fast clear and I gratefully crawled back into bed only to be brought back to consciousness some time later by hearing my name called out over the tannoy. We had got sixth place! She hadn`t overstretched herself, just done enough to keep me hopeful for the rest of the season.

ON THE ROAD AGAIN

Some of my friends and fellow Mini and Midi handlers wonder why I carry on. I suppose it is the gambler in me. I know they have the ability, they just don`t have that winning attitude. But every now and then they do a fantastic round and that makes it all worthwhile. Also, I really enjoy caravanning and all the social life that goes with it. It`s great to be with all my friends and there is such a buzz at the shows. So my little Freedom caravan will be hitting the roads again this year and once more we will go from Monmouth to Norwich, Sheffield to Ipswich and everywhere in between!

Best wishes from Christine Short

------------------------------------------------------------

Grateful thanks to Christine for sharing that with us, I really enjoyed that :D

As Patch says, some staffs are very good, although it helps to like the "bull in a china shop" style of agility. (No pun intended.)

No pics but a friend runs a Senior Medium staff - was Midi, then measured Mini, now back up to Medium.

Not the most reliable of dogs, but you can't fault his speed or enthusiasm.

i'd like to do it with phoenix but i can imagine her definate bull in a china shop attitude :lol: shes very fast but i dont think accuracy would be great.

http://www.mypetpages.net/artists/113/0/44...a6c57ac56cb.jpg

This is Levi, staffy x rescue. We've been doing agility for 2 1/2 seasons now and in 2005 qualified out of Elementary (2nd 2ce in agility) had a 9th in Nov agility- and 4th in Starters jumping, which was pretty amazing as we compete in large (he's a lab type x we think) so against all those super speedy collies. levi is just such fun to run, especially when I don't give him clear directions and he woofs at me. He also 'talks' staff style thru his weaves. And when he's finished his round he has to have a game of tug and some rolypolys which has passers by in hysterics usually(and my knees v wet if wet weather :rolleyes: ). He doesn't do waits, oh no, has to get started right away, altho does them perfectly at home. If very excited he sings in the queue as well :wub:

http://www.mypetpages.net/artists/113/0/fd...f32ed8c9002.jpg

This is Gizmo Gremlin, a half staffy x with maybe collie and/or whippet, demonstrating his latest trick :D

Only 11 months but already outthinking me,heeelp :lol:

We have a whole variety of dogs at our club who train at agility, including some Staffy crosses. They are surprisingly fast, and very accurate ... when they want to be! Bailey, one of the Staffy X girls, has really come into her own these past few months and is loving every minute.

Both the Staffy X girls are rescue dogs.

You can see more pictures at http://www.springersdogclub.co.uk/

I run a Whippet x JRT x something, and she's brought home some rosettes this past season! Her highest placing was a 4th, but she's a bit small (borderline Medium) against those other lanky dogs in her classes. She loves agility, especially when she has spectators.

As everyone can see, many of these non-collie stars are rescues and are doing really well in agility hence their owners being addicted Agility Addicts :D

I hope they are giving inspiration to people here who never thought their breed / type would be able to do it - the days of the Collie only Elite are gone so come on guys, give it a try and let your dogs make their mark too, like these rescue Staffie crosses, their stories told by owner Jo Tristram :

I run a pair of staffie x Labs, one large and one medium. They were both aquired by accident one at a few months old as the young couple that had her couldn't cope with her boisterous nature and her sister when she was a year old again because the owners couldn't cope with her energy.

We started agility with the first one when she was a year old by accident really, a friend recommended we go along and by the time the second one arrived we were agility addicts. Ellie, my medium is quick to learn and enthusiastic, although a little stubborn at times! But she lives and dies for agility and in her first year out qualified for the Galloway semis and came third at the super dog midi final.

This will be her large sisters first year out, she was put behind after breaking a toe, but she has come along so well, they are both so loyal and desperate to please.

This is Ellie after her week at Supa dogs- tired, but happy!

100_0022.jpg