UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Staffs / Staffy Crosses / Bull Breeds Who Do Agility...

staffymonkey

Another submission, you are gonna love this pic !!!!

"Hello, this is my Staffie Jack Russell x Collie competing at agility!!

Hope it is of some help to encourage other people to give agility a go

Stephanie Miller and Lexi"

231_2.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a look at the linky, there are fab pics of the 2005 Agility World Championships which were held in Spain, and not only are there non collies but theres a Staffie - I said there were some doing well in Agility and it doesnt get much better than that :lol:

http://www.tachyonbc.cz/

WOW!

I certainly didn't expect that much a response... but thank you all so much! :) :D

Fantastic posts, info and, of course, the pics - lovely pulis, a whole show of staffs, window-sneaking stafflet crosses... and lots of other lovely, lovely shots.... :love:

I think - once Maddie's travel sickness is better and she's done a bit more basic training - I might (if feeling brave) give it ago. I think she'd love it - she's always really keen to learn new stuff ( we could do 'sit', 'paw', 'other paw', 'wait' and 'up' within a couple of weeks). If we do, just wait for the 'bull in a china shop' tales (nice pun) . If I know my doglet at all, I can guarantee that she'll swap between making me ever so proud and aking me want the ground to swallow me up :) ...

And next we have a fabulous story of a great rescue success which brought a tear to my eye as I read this lads journey to the wonderful life he has now - if this does`nt inspire people to try agility with their Staffie / Staffie crosses, I don`t know what will :)

---------------------------------------------

Hi Patch

Just picked up on this thread and attach a photo of my boy Finn (Finn BoyThree -staff/lab cross) jumping at Aylesbury last summer. I know it looks like he's lying down in mid-air but actually we'd already been E'd cos

he was straight down the line and over the A-frame rather than doing the first

combination of jumps properly! But that's cos he's so keen he can't/won'twait on the line - nothing to do with me being a rubbish handler at all!.

He's just turned 8 this month and we got him in June 1998 when he was five months old from NCDL (Dogs Trust) Shoreham. We were only tentatively looking for dog number three but had popped out to see if they had any pups down at Brighton RSPCA. They were closed so we went down the road to Shoreham,

mentioned that we were looking for a small, active dog who might like to do agility and the staff immediately said - you should see 'Grant' (as he wasthen called).

He was originally from Bridgend, south Wales area and was put into the

rescue centre very young as the child of the house used him as a push/pull toy - it's taken a lot of effort to get him used to small children, he's not aggressive but positively avoids them.

Plus the vet records we got from NCDL indicate that he may have had parvo as a very young pup which makes me think puppy farm origins - thank heavens the NCDL put the effort in to pull himthrough.

Even today he's fast and furious but doesn't have the overall stamina of our other dogs - the earlier the runs the better for us.

NCDL Wales then sent him down to Shoreham where I believe he was waiting for us.

He only really had one proper season of competing before the foot and mouth thing and then we had a long-ish break from agility due to other commitments. Having moved late 2003, we got back into shows in our area (Midlands-ish) in late 2004 and quite a few last year, which has been great.

Finn is the dog that has a real high pitched scream as he goes round the course, while he's queuing, while he's watching etc etc!

As he's really an Elementary dog but in Novice cos I'm out of Starters, last years goal was just to get a clear round and we managed a 19th in a NovAG qualifier so that was great. This year's goal will be a higher place

and if we get a good course, with the sun shining and the wind in the right direction who knows!!

At home, he's a perfect companion - and our new terrier pup loves him to death. He really is fun Finn and very forgiving of small teeth and overexuberance.

All in all one fantastic dog.

Well done for posting this thread, I enjoyed the other peoples

responses - I

would have replied on forum but can't do the thing with pictures.

all the best

Adrian Gibbins

FinnAylesbury.jpg

More amazing Staffie pics, and a particularly impressive result with one of the gorgeous dogs as you will see in the text !!!!

-----------------------------------------------

We are Ian and Sandra Mitchell from Ipswich - we have 4 staffys,

Skipper, 8, (always had the poles down, now retired),

Tiller, 4, (won circular knockout at Crufts '05),

Marina, 2, (should come good this year!)

and

Bosun, 1ish, (a stray - had him since November...looking useful in his training)

We will register Bosun in the rescue agility league for this year...he was around 15 months and entire when he came to us and has settled in fine ...a few spats with the other male, Skipper, but only in the first week when he was still entire.

All get along just great.

Have attached some staffy agility pictures.

kind regards

Sandra

(black dog is Tiller (Crossguns Thong Song),

Red dog is Marina (Solentstaff's Lolas Glory)

Tiller_jump_1.jpg

2004_0603Image0001.jpg

2005_0603Image0001.jpg

2005_0603Image0002.jpg

2005_0603Image0003.jpg

2005_0603Image0004.jpg

He looks like he's goinmg SO FAST! before I start gioving this agility lark a go (which I think I may well do, once Maddie's over the car sickness...) I'm gonna have to start going jogging... :(

Patch, please say a big, big thanks to all the agility addicts whop've added pix and stories - all really fantastic :)

By the by, what *did* happen next?

My guess is stafflet did a power leap (usually best exhibited when jumping off your lap towards the cat...) from seesaw before it had chance to send him into orbit...

Edited by staffymonkey

Patch, please say a big, big thanks to all the agility addicts whop've added pix and stories - all really fantastic :)

Tis done :biggrin:

I copy/pasted your own words so that when they see that you will hopefully be giving agility a go with Maddie they will know its cos of their encouraging pics and stories, which I hope has given the same inspiration of the possibility to lots more peeps here :) :)