UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Help With Food

Dizzycharm

Thought I ask your opinion on a good dry food for an English Mastiff.

He is an entire, 18 month old? lovely friendly cuddly English Mastiff, who is currently boarding at our kennels. He is a long term boarder (marriage breakup) so we don't know when he will be leaving (has been with us since end of October).

Anyway, he came in with Dr John which is a sporting dog food - not very appropriate for a Mastiff. He was already on the lean side, which I think is fine, but now you can see his ribs (not his hip bones though). Someone suggested Skinners Ruff & Ready, but I still don't think this is the right sort of food. He is also drinking a lot more now with this food. His owner says that he loses weight quickly anyway, but obviously we'd like to find a suitable food which will help keep weight on and is correct for his breed. She has given us permission to change his food to whatever we like.

So can you help? Any suggestions will be most greatly recieved.

Autarky is very good for putting/keeping weight on and it's an excellent (Super Premium, all natural) food too. The kibble is quite big as well so wouldn't be too small for his big gob :laugh: :flowers:

If you can get to a Costco it's £10.99 for 15 kilos :)

Edited by madmerle

Thanks madmerle. Haven't heard of Costco, so I assume that we don't have them around here :biggrin: .

Any other suggestions would be great. We tried Autarky on Billy (the jack x whippet we had a while ago) and it made no difference. But all dogs are different, so we will definately consider it for the Mastiff.

Dr Johns is actually quite a good food and a lot of dried foods are classed as working dog food so you dont have to pay VAT on it :biggrin:

I had Storm and Akira (pyrenean mountain dogs ) on it but changed over to Gilpa Kennel , when Akira was diagnosed with HD as it has green lipped mussel added in which is great for their joints , i am sure Storm will have some problems with his as he was so overweight and fed on Bakers for so long before he came here but they both do well on the gilpa kennel , which is made by the same company as Dr Johns and is around £12 for a 15 KG bag

Fiona xx