UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Reintroducing Wolves To Scotland

siadwell

On the sheep issue - they could do as they have done in the US and Australia and introduce livestock protection dogs (Maremma, Kuvasz, Anatolian etc). They live with the flocks and generally deter the predators simply by their presence - though they are capable of taking on wolves if needed.

On the sheep issue - they could do as they have done in the US and Australia and introduce livestock protection dogs (Maremma, Kuvasz, Anatolian etc). They live with the flocks and generally deter the predators simply by their presence - though they are capable of taking on wolves if needed.

IN SA they introduced Anatolian Sheepdogs to deter Cheetah's. So I don't see a reason they wouldn't be able to do this with wolves. Anatolians were originally bred to live with their flock (from puppy hood) and defend the flock against bears and wolves in turkey.

But wouldn't the same rules apply, regardless of the species?

They would - but just try policing that in the Highlands. People are still hunting foxes in Wales whatever anyone may say.

It would be quite a big step for farmers to take, from scattered flocks rounded up by collies to guarded ones patrolled by Anatolians, Maremmas and Kuvasz. These dogs would also need to be trained to stay clear of ramblers etc and know they aren't rustlers. And there is still the question of protecting the wolves, which I honestly don't think can be done.

Personally I think humans have fecked way too much with the natural ecological systems and we should leave well alone. If you mess with nature then you never know what is in store a few decades down the line. If species die out then they die out for a reason, usually because they are not well adapted to survive the way things are. Species have been dying out for millions of years and will continue to do so, long after humans have gone :flowers:

Personally I think humans have fecked way too much with the natural ecological systems and we should leave well alone. If you mess with nature then you never know what is in store a few decades down the line. If species die out then they die out for a reason, usually because they are not well adapted to survive the way things are. Species have been dying out for millions of years and will continue to do so, long after humans have gone :flowers:

Wolves died out here as in some other places only because humans hunted them to extinction. They would have been quite successful otherwise, as they are very adaptable animals. Once humans invented guns, that was the end of them. Question is, do we try to undo any of the damage we have done? I don't have a problem with bringing them back, and think they will make more inroads into the rabbit and rodent population than the sheep flocks. I just don't believe we can protect them well enough.