UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Outdoor Kennels

lucyandmeg

I have just let the dogs out for their final wee and had to force them out because they aren't too keen on the cold - and boy is it cold! Their paddling pool has frozen over. Whilst standing by the door i hear the dogs next door making quite a lot of noise. THey live in a small kennel which is like a purpose built outhouse, smaller than a shed. I can't help feeling sorry for the dogs, a working cocker and a very young lab, particularly when i look at my lot snuggled in their big beds in my bedroom looking very content. My friend has a kennel for her dogs as her husband is allergic to them and can't have them in the house, but hers is a shed with heating etc. I don't imagine they have heating in the kennel next door. Although its good that they are inside away from the wond, i can't help thinking that it isn't very warm in there.

Do any of you use outdoor kennels and how do you cope with really cold weather?

I don't use them and wouldn't. Without inspecting next door's kennel, i suppose it is hard to say for definite that it is 'cruel' and I am sure anyone on here who does use them would have heating and lots of insulation. In other countries it is a lot more common to just have a dog in the garden in a simple wooden kennel - maybe we are too 'soft' in this country (I don't mean that like that but dogs do survive like that) but I certainly could not have my dogs outside. Hey, they hate going out when there is a drop of rain or a breeze!

Thats what makes me really feel sorry for these dogs, my dogs absolutely hate going out in the cold or wet (unless it means a walk!) and they are hardy gundog and pastoral breeds that are meant to be out in all weathers. I am way too soft on my dogs though, they sleep in my room because i like having them there, at least 2 of them would be happy downstairs but i wouldn't be!

My two have the sofas or a bed each in our bedroom with a double duvet in! Spoilt rotten. they pick and choose where to sleep but are not allowed on the beds (hubby is so miserable! :biggrin: ). I went skiing at New Year to Italy and in the car park of the hotel we stayed in they had a metal run thing (very small not much bigger than the boot of a Volvo) with a kennel in. In it was a husky. A beautiful dog. We've been before and it was there then too. Awful though it sounds it didn't upset me as much this time because I figure it looks 'well' and knows no different. They do not harm it (in literal terms) and it has water and shelter. They have different rules and ideas in other countries. It would bother me more if they were my neighbours but although I could not keep a dog in those circumstances, it didn't seem as wrong abroad somehow. (Still awful but not like it would be in britain). All dogs should have a sofa and a bed in my opinion! :ohmy:

I have 2 outdoor kennels and runs but I use them to confine dogs during the day if for any reason I haven't got somewhere else in the house for them. They are not heated so I wouldn't leave any of my dogs in them overnight for 2 reasons: - my dogs could be stolen from them (even though they are not in view) and secondly because my dogs would howl all night if they were left out there. The heating bit is important but I've got rough collies so I think they'd probably be more than warm enough. :laugh:

I sort of adopted an old dog called Macy and she had been living outside in the cold, she was 16 years old. :mecry:

The first night she came in here I let the dogs out for a last wee and Elsa and Raffles came in when I opened the door again, a minute or two later but Macy didn't.

I went out to look for her and she was curled up on the concrete slabs. :mecry: I cried for the nights she must have shivered all through the night.

She never ever was allowed to be cold or uncomfortable again.

Evebn if I live in a hot country I wouldn't leave my dogs out at night, they could get stolen.

They could be working dogs who actually prefer to be outside? A chap I used to meet everymorning for walks had 2 working collies who insisted on sleeping in their kennels (they weren't heated but were attached to the house and had raised beds), on very cold nights he would try and make them come inside by the fire..and they would pace and pant until he let the out again!!! :laugh:

Hopefully these 2 could be the same. :unsure:

For your peace of mind though, would it be possible to go and have a friendly chat with them?

A lot of people round here seem to use them but mainly during the day so the dogs get to be outside in a kennel and run while they are at work but they come in in the evenings.

I know Sadie would love an arrangement like that - her previous owner kept her in the garden all day and she is hard to persuade to come in but Buster whose previous owners rarely let him out will literally run out and pee in cold weather then turn right around and stand by the back door again until I let him in :rolleyes: !

Caz

Edited by Caz

I'd have no chance of getting my two in one! They hate the cold and love laying in front of the fire.

Even if they didn't mind the cold i would never use one. I have my dogs to be part of my family and as such live in the house with me, i wouldn't see the point of keeping them outside.

I agree with Jacky, maybe have a friendly chat, they may well just prefer to be outside.

My last dog I had was a German Shepard, and he was born outside, even though I tried to get him to live in doors, he wouldnt have it, so I had put a matress and a old big blanket in one of the sheds, in my back garden and he was happy in it.... I felt awful doing it, I would not dream of leaving Maddie outside overnight, she loves the warmth of the house and my bed... :biggrin: :wacko: