UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

I wonder if Wanda's behaviour could be down to too much haylage? Six piles all to herself sounds a bit ominous, and the stable yard next door to me, and that has mainly TBs, have noticed that all of their horses have started to scour a bit on the latest haylage delivery, it is that rich.

Mine are not scouring, but are feeling very full of themselves. Bron's been whizzing around the field like a gymkhana pony, snorting and with her tail in the air. :biggrin:

This morning I turned Merlyn out with Bron, and just a tiny bit of haylage between them, as there is still a bite of grass on the fields. No sooner had the haylage gone, than Merlyn was at the gate demanding to come back in. He's hardly walked fifty yards since being turned out, so he'd another think coming!

I have been using an elasticated support around the damaged rib, although took it off a few days ago, and wasn't wearing it when I rode M the other day. Have a feeling it could take weeks to fully heal. :rolleyes:

I wonder if Wanda's behaviour could be down to too much haylage? Six piles all to herself sounds a bit ominous, and the stable yard next door to me, and that has mainly TBs, have noticed that all of their horses have started to scour a bit on the latest haylage delivery, it is that rich.

The thing is they are not all hers! That was for 5 horses, we always put out one extra pile but she wanted the lot, greedy mare. I've got her results back and she still has low white blood count and raised muscle enzymes! I'm more than a bit gobsmaked to say the least, She is having a B12 injection tomorrow and I may put her on Visorbin as well!

Re horses scouring, that is because they are not getting enough fibre throughput, haylage quantity needs increasing.

...Re horses scouring, that is because they are not getting enough fibre throughput, haylage quantity needs increasing.

Now that is interesting, but strange, as they are getting the same amount (weight) as last week, from the previous haylage bale, but weren't scouring last week. They also get soaked beet pulp and chaff mixed into their feeds, and are all looking fit and well, even gaining weight and muscletone, in the case of the recent arrivals, who were quite poor when purchased. They also include a 19 yo retired p-t-p horse now just used for hacking, and who hass just come in off grass, and whose teeth are badly affected as a result of years of crib-biting and windsucking.

Wanda's test results do seem strange. What could be the cause, I wonder?

If you werein the midlands Id take you up on it... after hefting me about for a bit he would be glad of the rest....

Well, I'm only a couple of hours down the motorway, here in S. Wales, so if you fancy a daytrip one weekend, bring your riding kit! My stables are in TRPD's Llys Trerobert Bird Garden, and the tracks adjacent to that. Lots of nice, off-road riding country.

Just clipped blue, he was an absolute get. He stomped on my toe and that's really sore now. Had to give up half way through his legs as he was getting stressed and spinning round and trying to barge me, which made me stressed. Tried the whole holding clippers against leg when they aren't on, and that worked for a bit to chill him out, but he was soon back to barging me out of the way and being horrid. Good job we aren't showing over winter!!!

Am getting a bit frustrated with my farm at the moment, they only have to have the slightest amount of rain and they stop turnout. It's a really nice day here, but because it rained a bit last night, no horses are allowed out. I know they have to preserve fields, but surely allowing us out for a couple of hours isn't going to totally trash them??!!

It's also frustrating me as only horses who have had lami are allowed hay. Blue is seriously fat now, I'm not allowed to lunge him or ride him in the school, which means as there is no turnout, he's just stood in eating haylage 24/7. I can't hack him out alone, plus by the time I get to the farm on an evening it's dark now and everyone else has done their riding.

Am also sporting a nice blue finger from where something inside it went ping whilst I was stuffing gayness!!

Oops that should have been haynets (damn iPhone!!!)

Can't go back and edit either!!!

Gooster that must be so frustrating, are you not allowed to buy your own hay in?

I don't know what on earth is going on with Wanda, this is the fourth time she's gone this way, it has to be something to do with her immune system but what? Apparently racehorses do this a lot but they are on huge amounts of cereals, Wanda only eats Simple System foods, she's on lucie nuts, luna eclipse, linseed, eclipse recovery, garlic, seeweed, cider vinegar and aloe vera, all in the advised amounts, absolutely no cereals or sugars. When she does crash she starts to fall asleep in front of me, it's all very odd.

Hearing stories of yards like that with so many rules reminds me how lucky I was to find a small quiet yard where all the horses are turned out no matter what the weather!

I have heard today that my friend who i was hoping to share with has pulled out, so im in this on my own now :ohmy:

I am going to try and see Sol this week, if he is not suitable I think i'll try and have a 6 month horsey break and save up some decent money to buy myself one next year.

However, I have been told that Sol is an absoloute darling and it will be difficult not to fall in love with him.

The lady that owns him rode for Canada in the 1992 Olympics :ohmy: !!

To be honest after my experiences of sharing i'd never do it again. Vet bills come in and it wasn't a huge one but my friend couldnt afford it :rolleyes: then she wanted a lie in on her day off from work so wouldn't do him, then too busy to do anything!! You get the idea, in the end it was easier to own Pepper myself and do everything.

Gooster, surely the fields get trashed more when crazy horses get turned out after being cooped up :wacko: can you not find somewhere else :unsure:

Wow so much going on!

Sorry to hear Wanda's bloods are playing up again, very odd :wacko: Now may be completely on the wrong track here but I seem to remember someone whose horse had terrible trouble with muscle enzymes readings, horse very lethargic and just not quite right, and he couldn't have anything with sugar in otherwise he would crash, could the extra haylage have brought it on? Must be so frustrating :GroupHug:

Good luck with viewing Sol, sorry to hear your sharer has let you down, but if you can manage on your own I think its much better than a sharer. You could always look for one in the future once you have got to know your new charge and then you can lay some rules down to the incoming person :flowers:

Gooster I have been there as well with having that kind of turnout arrangement and it is horrible. You never know if you're coming or going with the weather, and if they are being fussy now I wouldn't think you will get much turnout from now until spring. I only did one winter but could never go back to a yard with that arrangement. Is there anywhere else you could go?

Merlyn sounds full of beans :laugh: :wub: Must be something in the air as Loki is being a spooky whatsit at the moment and he doesn't have haylage and I have cut back his feed to only chaff and nuts, but its made no difference. I have come to the conclusion he is now fit and well and being a monkey!

Hope your rib is feeling better :flowers:

Just clipped blue, he was an absolute get. He stomped on my toe and that's really sore now. Had to give up half way through his legs as he was getting stressed and spinning round and trying to barge me, which made me stressed. Tried the whole holding clippers against leg when they aren't on, and that worked for a bit to chill him out, but he was soon back to barging me out of the way and being horrid. Good job we aren't showing over winter!!!

Am getting a bit frustrated with my farm at the moment, they only have to have the slightest amount of rain and they stop turnout. It's a really nice day here, but because it rained a bit last night, no horses are allowed out. I know they have to preserve fields, but surely allowing us out for a couple of hours isn't going to totally trash them??!!

It's also frustrating me as only horses who have had lami are allowed hay. Blue is seriously fat now, I'm not allowed to lunge him or ride him in the school, which means as there is no turnout, he's just stood in eating haylage 24/7. I can't hack him out alone, plus by the time I get to the farm on an evening it's dark now and everyone else has done their riding.

Am also sporting a nice blue finger from where something inside it went ping whilst I was stuffing gayness!!

Oops that should have been haynets (damn iPhone!!!)

Can't go back and edit either!!!

Can you Longrein him on the lanes or around the yard?

Never done long reining with him, I suspect he'd be a bit of a git, as he likes the security of someone being next to him. He'll walk past all kinds of scary monsters when I am leading him, but when I am on board he rears and spins and is a git!

I have seriously considered moving him, even if I have to keep him in when I am at work, if he could go out on my days off, that would chill him a bit. Only problem is that my instructor is on my current yard and I have some good friends on there. At the moment we have a floodlit outdoor and a nearly finished indoor school, but I just feel like I'm paying £40 a week and he's not getting to be a horse. Did find a stables a bit further away that is only £20 a week with turnout, but it hasn't got the facilities, and tbh hacking still scares me a bit since my confidence went last year.

There is nothing i can do at the moment anyway as we still haven't been given the all clear from the strangles, but I am certainly giving it a lot of consideration.

Finding the right yard is a nightmare, I am so pleased I moved back to WEC but finanically its cripling me. Just sat here knowing I should call the vet for Loki as he seems to have a skin problem that isn't clearing up, but not knowing where the cash is coming from to pay them, I guess cancelling any lesson plans would be a start :rolleyes: Why couldn't I have taken up knitting or something :laugh:

Bugger, cob failed the vetting on some white configurations in one eye, well not really failed as vet advised investigation so it would be an exclusion. Seller would not consider sharing the cost and doesn't give a damn about what is anything is wrong. Friend has decided to walk away, after her past experience I can't say I blame her.

I want to buy him!

I want to buy him!

I want to buy him!

I want to buy him!

I want to buy him!