UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

I now have 36 small bales of hage for the £90 :biggrin: Whilst i wont feed pure hage it'll be good to mix with hay when the hay becomes more scarce towards end of winter.

Fingers crossed they like it!

Hope Wanda's results are good and she can get back to work, sounds like she is ready :laugh: Hope Kim is okay :flowers:

Good luck with the vetting today :flowers:

I had a chat with my vet last night and the general opinion is that he doubts it is a tendon problem as he is not lame, (at this point he did say though this is Loki and he doesn't generally conform and he is even a pain when sound!) but he can not be 100% sure without a scan. I have thought long and hard and after doing some reseach online ( :ohmy: never a good thing with medical matters!) I think this article sums it up well Link I have booked him in for a scan on Friday :rolleyes:

Well...

As soon as the vet arrived I told her about Sol's weird 'toe pointing' thing he does so she got to work investigating that straight away. She did the flexion tests, no lameness, put him on the lunge in the school, no lameness, put him on the lunge on concrete, no lameness. She did a few more tests on his feet, no response. Queue one very confused vet :rolleyes:

She continued the vetting with everything being in order. She said to me at the end that she wouldve expected him to be crippeled on a circle, because of the way he stands, but hes not lame at all. She said she'd never seen a horse stand like that with no foot pain so she called her physio to ask if theyd come across anything like it before. The physio said that from the description, they would guess that he almost certainly has a problem with his lower back and is shifting the weight to relieve pain. The vet said she thinks it could potentially be cureable with pysio, but depending on how long its been going on, it could be chronic and not fixable.

The vet was as gutted as I was, she fell in love with him too - hes such a lovely chap.

Going to wait to hear back from the owner, she didnt know about this so she'll obviously have to get in touch with a physio and get them to come and assess him and see what the damage is.

Horses love to puzzle don't they :laugh: It is a tough one, especially as he has been out of work a while (if I remember correctly) you won't really know if its something that will be a problem when in full work. Will be interesting to see hear what the physio says. I guess also depends on what kind of money they want for him whether its worth taking the risk.

Blinkin horses it is never ever straight forward :GroupHug:

:GroupHug: for Loki and Sol

Opened a bale of hage and gave a thin slice of hage each and as expected they loved it! I've collected hage and got it in field also did other bits at stables like a good clean through etc then found out its a bad idea doing it when you're supposed to be resting a knackered back :rolleyes: Tis hurting a lot today but at least the stables sparkle :laugh:

Left horses out longer last night as it was such a lovely evening so got there about 7pm to find a hysterical Annie in a state obviously thinking i'd forgotten them. She was dripping sweat and was soaked from her ears down to lather between her back legs :wacko: When i went in field she put her head against me and gave a huge sigh. Bumble was bone dry and quite happy waiting. They've got hay in the field so its not as if she was starving hungry, she just panics if i'm not there when she wants to come in. In the morning she'll bang stable door wanting to go out :wacko: Any ideas on what to do with this daft girl, shes got me baffled :wacko:

Meant to say, theres no set time to Annies panics she can have one one day at a certain time, the next day shes quite happy. So its not just if i'm late but they are becoming more frequent.

Edited by collies r best

I wonder if Annie would benefit from a magnesium suppliment, I know it's seen as a bit of a cure all at the moment but if she is getting into such a state she will be down on mag anyway, worth a try?

Re Sol, there was a horse on the yard that did the pointy leg thing, he def had one shoulder more developed than the other but he did not have much neck and had developed this stance to assist him grazing, he had to get the leg forward to get his head down and was left footed! He is a 16hh TB, a bit lightweight but does a good dressage and is a super eventer, jumping some fearsome tracks. He can get a few back probs but his owner is very dedicated with stretches and keeps him right. Will be interested in what the physio says.

Obe is broken again, knock on from his trailer incident but I don't know why yet, Kim's foot is improving but is not brilliant. Wanda looks like a moose still, she has dropped so much muscle and her neck is like a piece of string. Lunged in the Ho today and she did the head swinging snarly thing at me, yay, she's getting better. When she tries to kick my head off then I'll know she's fine. :biggrin:

Sam and Micki went to see two horses at the weekend, both suitable for a nervous novice, one did constant mini rears and the other was so up and tight it probably had back problems, ho hum, is there a horse out there for Micki?

Edited for serious typos!

Edited by Pendlewitch

If you get her epsom salts that is magnesium but without the posh packaging!! Blue has it Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday and it calms him down nicely. You can't feed it full time as it can damage the liver, but 3/4 days a week is fine.

Will be interesting to find out what physio has to say about Sol.

:GroupHug: to Wanda, Obe and Kim and Loki.

We are currently awaiting the last strangles swab and then we get the all clear!!! Results due tomorrow!! Have managed to find another owner who is willing to buddy up with me and Blue so that he can get turnout most days. Only for a couple of hours, but that's all he needs really when I start working the little fatty again!!! We are going to start with a week of lunging before I even think about sitting on him - aside from anything else, his saddle probably isn't fitting him too well after 2 months off!!!

I emailed a physio in my area last night and told her about Sol, she says that 'low grade back muscle or sacroiliac pain' is likely to cause a horse to adopt that stance.

She said that obviously its hard to say how bad it is or whether it would respond to treatment without seeing him.

I think Sol's owner is going to speak to the vet who vetted him today so will see what she says!

I found Ebay the best place to get decent magnesium at a good price. It will only work as a calmer though if she is deficient, but definately worth a try as know some horses who have really responded well :flowers:

Glad Wanda sounds back to herself :biggrin: Hoping Kim and Obe recover quickly :flowers:

I was feeling pretty chilled about the scan tonight until book-keeper at work told her story of her friends horse who had no lameness but is currently on three months box rest after scans showed tendon was damaged :rolleyes: But I am sat at work with chocolate and crisps to help me through the stress :laugh:

Ooh looking like you might be onto something there

Appears recent studies are relating insulin / magnesium / lami.

Nothing appears to be proven but very interesting!

"Magnesium

Again in human medicine there has been increasing interest in the potential role of magnesium in supporting the action of insulin. It has been suggested that in humans with type II diabetes with low magnesium status magnesium can improve insulin sensitivity. So what about horses- low magnesium status is often not reported in overweight horses or those predisposed to or suffering from laminitis also that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Therefore more studies are needed to see if magnesium supplementation over and above the level normally provided in the diet does have any beneficial effect on insulin sensitivity and laminitis in the horse. Until then it would certainly seem appropriate to ensure that all horses have an adequate intake of magnesium."

What an afternoon :wacko: was out shopping when mobile rang. It was stable owners daughter informing me my horses were loose. I asked if she was sure they were mine as altogether there are six horses using all the fields [3 sets of 2 horses].She thought they were all mine :laugh: So said i'd race down anyway. Got there to find 1 loose horse, easy peasy i thought, popped him in field then went to check mine. They were fine but very excited, then i saw Moss and Kenny [my friends horses]were in the road having fun :ohmy: no headcollars so caught Moss with rope around neck and started walking down the road luckily Kenny followed. All went well till Kenny decided to go out the other drive as we were nearing fields, cue Moss panicking :wacko: getting loose and galloping the way we'd come straight back into road :ohmy: Luckily after galloping up road together they went into field top enterance and builders next door shoved roofing joists across entrance to block them in.

By the looks of it Kenny had escaped first, Moss had walked a trench in field before joining him. They then galloped through one field where Chief decided to join in but his potential partner in crime let him down as hes terrified of electric fencing so luckily Chief stayed with him. Then Moss and Kenny were charging around everywhere before heading to the road. Bloody horses!!!!!!

Oh god! Sounds like you had an interesting time!

Ive just spoken to Sol's owner who has basically said that she doesnt mind if I get a physio out to see him, but its up to me. She said shes not going to change what shes doing with him currently because shes never had a problem with him so I think what shes basically saying is 'check him if you want but i dont really care' :rolleyes:

Nice. Ive rung the physio I emailed and have left a message for her so hopefully she will call me back!