UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Lily was by a scrub colt standing about 12.2/13HH so will probably make 11 hands ish. No real plans for her other than making her into a nice pony with manners, she'll be a bit small so probably loan her to very little children with very experienced parents! Banner is going to be a friend for Monty the yard shetland and will probably just hang about and YO Sam's sisters will do bits with her. I may even show her at some point, could be quite fun, Monty could come for the ride, he can't show as his legs are wonky but he would so like to be there!

The reaction of the yard horses has been hysterically funny when I put the littlies out in the morning, they gallop about and then stop and stare then big snorts and off they go again with tails up over backs and big bug eyes, silly things. :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

How are Lily and Banner getting on PW?

I've had a really busy weekend, went for a flatwork lesson yesterday with a new trainer who I am liking a lot, just had two sessions but the change both myself and Loki is exciting :)

Today was the fun stuff :wink: and we went xc schooling :biggrin: I haven't really done much jumping since he has been back in work but he's fit enough now and we were invited to go along so would have been rude to refuse so to speak :laugh:

Loki was ace but a bit big and bold so it didn't feel pretty, but I was very pleased how he tackled the ditches, still a bit dodgey first time but it didn't take so long to get him popping it nicely enough. There was a nice coffin complex, it walked quite a long one stride, the pony we were with was getting two strides comfortably, we bounced it the first time :ohmy:

Anyway here is the vid

and a pic - the only one that wasn't blurry :laugh:

resized.JPG

Been and taken some photos of my friends mare and foal today.

MollyandDelta188.jpg

Too cute!

MollyandDelta177.jpg

Easta is back in work as she didn't get pregnant, we're practising to start our dressage debut!

Cornwallandclinic115.jpg

Cornwallandclinic092.jpg

Feebe decide to show us how its done with no effort at all!

Cornwallandclinic168.jpg

Blondie

Cornwallandclinic138.jpg

Sarah - what gorgeous horses :wub:

Clare - Loki looks like he's having a great time! It looks so much fun! Wish I had a horsebox...must start saving!

Recently ive discovered that Earl definately doesnt like garlic - I tried adding some to his food, the first time he ate it and spat it out everywhere, the second time he picked his feed bucket up and tipped his dinner all over the floor then hoovered up all the food without the garlic bits in it :laugh:

Also, ive been doing loads of schooling and lungeing with a pessoa with Earl to try and build up his back muscles that had disappeared because of his saddle not fitting properly. The lump of spine that was sticking up is almost completely gone when he's been working and all his muscles are hot so I think we're getting there gradually!

My little ponies! :wub:

Banner stuffing her face, it's what she does best.

100_2050_00.jpg

Lily stepping out, she is cheeky little madam!

100_2051_00.jpg

The coloured horse and foal are just stunning! :wub:

Loki is looking superb Clare, he has really matured and looks ready to go on the next level!

Easta is beautiful and how clever of her friend not to need rider for dressage!

Had a text from my friend last night to say she is retiring her 3 day event mare to the paddocks (she has reached 3* but things are getting a bit big for her and she has started stopping) she is a sturdy but very very fast Irish Sports Horse and they are off this morning to collect the necessaries from Watermill Swatch which will hopefully produce a nice foal next year....cant wait...

Aww Lily sooo cute and sooo cheeky looking, bet she is keeping her mum on her toes :laugh:

Gorgeous pics Sarah :wub: Feebee is an absolute stunner :ohmy:

Loki had a visit from a highly recommended vetinary chiropractor on Monday. Now being a bit of a sceptic regarding horses and chiro I only used him as I was recommended him by a very fusy no nonsense lady who is also the fitness trainer for GB endurance team.

He said Loki was very out, spine curving to the left, left hip stuck and pelvis rotated backwards, which does all fit in with schooling issues and his general way of going, but I am still Ms Sceptical. Loki is very suspicious of people he doesn't know, they generally can't do a thing with him, he not only let this guy work all over him, including lowering his head so he could work on the poll, making adjustments as he went, and standing on a huge black box towering over him, Loki actually fell asleep and seemed to really enjoy the treatment, so I am intreged if he is going to feel any different when he can be ridden again tomorrow. What this space :rolleyes:

Ooh forgot to say Grace, I haven't been on any of her courses but only heard good things about Kelly Marks :flowers:

Edited by Clare

That's really interesting about Loki. I had a chiro out to see Earl when I noticed the lump on his back as originally I thought he'd put his back out. The chiro was really nice, got to the crux of the problem straight away about Earl's shoulder's being sore and not working over his back properly, hence the muscle loss and exposed spine. I also didn't tell him how old Earl is or the fact that he'd broken his leg a few years ago and he said all his hips and joints were in fine working order which was nice to know!

We had a bit of a crisis yesterday - I spent about 6 hours in panic. We got back from a hack yesterday and as I was untacking I noticed Earl had an enormous bite on his bum. The lump was raised but flat, and the size of it was the same size as the palm of my hand. The lump itself was rock solid, it felt like he had a disc of plastic stuck under his skin. I gave him his dinner and he refused to eat it, so I tried offering him hay and he wasn't interested in that either, which is unheard of! Then I noticed that he was very very hot and was almost breaking out into a sweat, and by this point he'd gone into total gaga land and was just staring blankly ahead and wouldn't respond at all. Then I noticed that he was reluctant to put his weight on the back leg on the side he'd been bitten, and when I tried to walk him round (still in gaga land) he was dragging his back leg. Cue very panicy me!!

Called the vet who told me to hose the area for 10-15 mins to cool the area and cool his core temperature down which worked well, at this point he started grazing again. Also managed to give him some bute. After about an hour he seemed a bit brighter but he was still a bit dodery on his legs and still not interested in food. So I made him a stable up and put him in there so I could go home and have some food before I came back and put him to bed. He was in there for an hour and didn't touch his haynet. In the meantime another livery came down and said she didnt even recognise Earl in the stable because he looked so bloody miserable! I got back and hosed him for another 15 mins, dried him off and put him to bed, but by this point he'd brightened up again and he tucked into his haynet.

Arrived this morning and the first thing he did was mugged my pockets to see if I had any food - second thing he did was frog march me back to the field to be with his friend! The bite is still there albeit smaller but atleast he's back to his normal self now. It was a very panicy few hours though - horses!!!