UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Jacky - Hopefully the sight of an RSPCA inspector will make Helen pull her finger out. As she is your friend though could you ask her to do you a favour and unofficially "interview" her about Indy's injuries.

Phoenix21 I am in the process of sharing 3 days a week. Its not official yet as we are taking it slowly while I get to know the pony and we get to know each other. What would your 3 days be? Mine are Fri Sat Sun. £25 per week but that is everything (including vets bills) and I get use of indoor school. (lessons down here are £25 per hour) We have not yet drawn up an agreement but I have asked her to. The owner has been able to add me her insurance policy as a named rider at no extra cost but otherwise I would suggest riders insurance.

Good luck to all competing this weekend. My friend is in a class at Hickstead.

These are all things i need to discuss - ideally it would be sat, sun and fri but we would have to see. She is giving me a call in the next few days. My £20 a week doesnt include vet bills. thanks for reminding me about insurance will ask her about it. The lass has another horse she is bringing on so i think she would be flexible about when i look after the mare. She works p/t at the stables as she is at uni which is quite good - and the sharer currently isnt moving until sept which is ideal for me as this is when i start full time work so will have more money coming in. Am hoping to organise to go up and see her soon.

Had my dressage test today in my lesson - i remembered it all shock horror!! its really hard concentrating on where you are going AND on the horse AND on you :wacko: Connie - the horse i ride is going to pony club all next week so dont have a lesson but the one after that we are starting on lateral work which should be interesting. my instructor is taking solo (Coloured dopey traditional cob who you would never think could do dressage) to some dressage national championships in Warwickshire next week so wishing her lots of luck! :biggrin:

Lovely piccie San :) & glad that you enjoyed your lesson Phoenix

Rolo and I hacked out together for the first time since my unscheduled dismount today :) We did a fairly short one but it came back past the spot that I came off last time, so I thought it was a good one to do.

It is not a ride that I do very often - the off road bit is through some woods and the path is very twisty, muddy, with lots of fallen trees and rumoured to be haunted! (Nemo always behaved like a complete wally in there! :) ) Have done it once before with Rolo and it was a nightmare - he found manouvering along the path tricky and brushed me against a tree :rolleyes: But, he was a little star today - he has become so much more manouverable - we even had an unexpected jump (from walk!) over a fallen tree :laugh: He did not put a foot wrong along entire ride :)

My friend then made me do some raised trotting poles on him when we got back - again, a very good boy!

I have just bought a Quiet Ride fly mask to be used when riding - he is really sensitive to flying things - think the mask will make him happier. Can but try!

All in all a good day :)

Well done Bradders and Rolo.

phoenix21 hope the sharing comes together.

Watched Kathy lungeing Dexter yesterday. He wasnt much interested in stopping :wacko: Just wanted to run. Had a go though but it will be a while before I do that. It made me sooooo giddy

You will get there with the lunging - focus on Dexter and not the background - it will stop you feeling dizzy!

I was very nervous when I first started lunging Rolo - but we are slowly getting there.

I spoke too soon yesterday - have had a complete disaster today.

Went for a hack with a different horse today - he can be a bit nappy so Rolo went in front, which is unusual, as he is so slow in walk. he was so good - led past all manner of scarey thigns without a murmur - even managed a little trot infront. All was going really well - we were just plodding along, when it happened again - something of unkown origin freaked him out - he put in a sort of buck/leap and unseated me - I hung off the side (different side this time!) which scared him and he took off.

I came off - on tarmac this time - and he clipped me as he went over me - fortunately on the hat.

Ihad a body protector on, thank God, but I have really hurt myself this time - my side is so sore I can hardly move, and I have a very cut bum!! And on top of that he has mullered my favourite jods!! :biggrin:

Led him part way home and got on him again - he was seriously unsettled and felt like he was goign to explode, so I got off again - had enough flying lessons for now. Led him til we were nearly home and tried to get on again - seriously uptight again so gave up. By now I was havign serious trouble breathing anyway!

Got home and did intend to go in school, but nutty arab was in there, so gave that a miss - got on him and just mooched around the yard for a couple of minutes. He was fine.

For the first time since I got him, I am beginning to think that this is not meant to be. I am too old for this nonsense - and I have my dogs to look after which is damn near impossible when you can't move! I am sure I will think differently in the morning - I love him to bits and we are making huge progress in other areas, but, tbh, I am scared to hack him out on the roads now - both times have been over absolutely nothing that we could see/hear. I am so upset - I do not know what I am doing wrong - I have sat some humungous spooks and bucks on Nemo - Sarah is forever saying that I am well stuck there. :rolleyes:

Jenny, feeling extremely sorry for herself, signing out

Oh Rolo, you bad boy! Jen, take a deep breath and relax, that's if you can, I'm so sorry things are not going too well for you at the moment. What is happening to you is fairly common with a young ned who has not had the best nutrition, he gets fat and sassy and then bloody cheeky. I wouldn't hack for a while as you will be expecting problems and he will pick up on any tension but I would get some serious school work in, he's old enough to have some manners in place and if he's got hold of the idea you are going to part company it will be a great game for him.

Would you say he has had any real school work done before you bought him or had he just been sat on and ridden? If you don't feel up to schooling him can you get someone in to do some work with him to and help him work through his difficulties before they become a real problem. Do you think some sort of calmer would help, Global Herbs Stresscare was brilliant for Dobbin, our YO uses Supercalm on her thug, also with great results!

I remember you saying Nemo could buck for England but it didn't seem to bother you at all, I do wonder if Rolo is a difficult shape for you now he's in good condition, he will be vastly different from your glorious Arab and much harder to sit on!

Please don't think I'm being negative but you must do something to sort all this out, being bucked off on the road is bloody dangerous, you could get seriously hurt, today's experience must have been really frightening.

I hope you recover quickly from this experience and the naughty Rolo starts to behave himself!

:GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Oh no Jen :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

I don't blame you for having doubts about his suitability for you, you are sore and shocked, as you say things may look different in the morning, but don't beat yourself up if they don't :flowers:

What does Sarah say about it, can she hack him out for you for a bit whilst you concerntrate on the schooling? It is so hard to analyse what is happening when there doesn't seem an obvious reason for him being set off, doesn't sound like high spirits if he is being good at all other times :unsure:

Have a nice bath and a bottle of wine and see what the morning brings :flowers:

I do not think you are being negative at all!!

Had not thought of a calmer, but given that it seems to be a spook that starts tha ball rolling , that is probably a good idea.

It is difficult - both times the people that I have been out with have said that he looked absolutely petrified, and his nature is such that I am sure that there is no malice - he is one of life's great worriers, but he can be naughty - getting away on the lunge is a prime example :rolleyes: - I am sure that this is not naughtiness tho (not yet, anyway :biggrin: )

I am paying someone far more experienced to school him for me - she adores him and thinks he is s star in the making. She has hacked him out a few times too and he did a vertical take off with her too - but it was in one of my old saddles, and she is obviously a much better rider than me too.

If I can move tomorrow I intend to get on him in the school - but he is a really good boy in there generally anyway. When I am feeling a bit more mobile my friend will accompany us around the farm - at least if I come off there, it should be soft!

He was very green when I got him - knew the 3 main paces but transitions and steering were a bit of a mystery!!

Have had a long chat with my friend that gave me Nemo tonight - she has made me feel a lot more positive about it all. She still thinks Rolo and I are meant to be - as do I really I suppose :rolleyes:

I am also lucky in that I have great back up - the girl that rides him for me used to ride for a top dressage judge, and my friend Sarah is a superb rider as well as being a BHSAI

Bl**dy horses

Back from a loooooong day and I freely admit to not having read back :flowers:

was up and in stables and 5:10 and got picked up at 7 to go to the dressage finals and help my boss.

Today was such a brilliant day, my boss has got a fab kür programme, and she had the ride of her life! Unik was brilliant, he was cool, calm and collected :cool: and just looked completely relaxed and pleased with himself. Boss couldn't get her arms down the rest of the day, she was so happy and proud.

I have to admit, standing there watching them, I got a bit tearful..

She regained her 7th place in the over all competition, and she was just SO proud. She has had Unik since he was 3, and having come this far with him is probably more than she ever dreamed off.

I was back home at 8pm, rode with same people I got there with.. I turned out the horses and lunged Prins who was trying to break out of his stable. Mucked out the mares etc, and was home at 10. I think I will enjoy my day off tomorrow :biggrin:

If I manage to find some pictures from the competition online, I will link to them in here :flowers: