UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

poor boy,I hope its not strangles x :flowers:

Sorry should have said, the swelling is connected to the op he had to remove the tooth, the swelling in the the same place the swelling was when he returned from hospital, but never this big, it is likely he has an infection :(

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but when vet came out two weeks ago to remove the plug and clean the area and then replace the plug, he decided not to remove the plug as it all looked so healthy so he just flushed around the plug, probably something was stuck down there and wasn't detected.

I have spoken to my vet who will take a look at the photos this afternoon. He is due out to us on Thursday and I was hoping he would bring the appointment forward but as he is such a long way away it is not easy, most likely he will post some antibiotics tonight and see him on Thursday {big sigh :rolleyes: }

Oh dear looks like it's accident month!! Went to ride Kane last night (weyhey light evenings!!) and as I was passing Indy noticed her knee looked odd (and the fact she didn't come and mug me!!) and yes we have an extreamly swollen knee and a lovely hoof shaped cut on the side of it!! :glare: So got Lynn down and we spend the evening hosing it!! It's a very clean cut and the swelling did go down, I think we caught it very early cos she was sweating buckets when we first found her and she calmed down once we started hosing her. So Indy and poor little Fred are now on box rest ...Fred didn't quiet get why he was incarsarated too, but she's won't settle alone so he had to be put in with her!!

Now Barney thinks he's c*** of the field!!! He had a little paddy when we took the other 2 out but then attached himself to uncle Kane...and even left his feed and stuck his head in Kane's bucket!! Which the soft lug let him do!!! :wub: :wub: At least Lynn said she definately didn't think the kick had come from Kane..not that it matters who did it, it just makes me feel better knowing Kane is kind to the foals!

Annoying thing is I was set for riding and didn't go...and now today it's bloo*y thick fog so can't go either!!! :mad:

Vet has been, news not great :( When he examined the wound site it looked really good and healing well, no sign of infection. He scratched his head a bit and hmmmed and haaaaed and then decided to X-ray to rule out infection of the bone, but there is infection of the bone :mecry:

He has put him on 10 days of mega strength antibiotics and anti-inflamaties, he decided to not replace the plug to allow for drainage, he will come back a week Tuesday and have another look. If no improvement then he will need an op to remove the infected pieces of bone.

Oh and did I mention my insurance company is not being very helpful in paying for any of this :rolleyes:

Oh dear poor Loki!! He might end up with a matching bump like Kane has!!! :wub: I take it ridings off again then!! Typical nice weather and he goes and does that!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Are you with NFU? I've always heard very good things about them..but like my dad says, you never know how good they are until you try and claim!! :flowers:

Yes another ten days off for the little monkey :wub: I always thought people a little calous (sp?) when they complained about not being able to ride their horses when they are poorly, but now I understand the feeling not being able to ride the horse of your dreams, with B I tended to be very relieved when something happened that I couldn't ride her (not that it did often :rolleyes: ), but with Loki I am so upset at the thought, listen to me feeling sorry for myself :blush02:

But there is no reason why in a few days he can't be lunged in a headcollar, "hacked" out in hand, and I will keep to my plan of introducing jumping to him, but it will be in hand, more like agility :laugh:

I am with NFU, everyone, including the vets rave about them, I will reserve judgement until it is sorted :glare: I assumed it was a straight forward claim :rolleyes:

Ohh Loki you unlucky boy. I hope the meds are strong enough to make him heal :flowers: :flowers:

times in 6 months!! OMG what is he a woolly mammouth????!!! :ohmy:

well he is a woolly mammoth in the autumn and winter, but from january and forward the hair he grows are long and coarse (sp) and far between, except for patches of black real soft fur (he is brown). You seriously cannot bring him to national level dressage competitions looking like that :laugh: it is bad enough that we can't clip his shetland-style overgrown ears and that his forlock (sp) isn't actually hair, like the mane, but just longer c thick woolly coat :huh:

:GroupHug: Oh Clare. Poor Poor Loki - he really is in the wars lately isn't he?

Never mind, at least he will be sorted in time for the warm weather. :)

Interesting about NFU - I think I posted earlier that I have been with them for years, but was seriously unimpressed over the palaver I had when trying to get Rolo insured - it took the best part of 2 months to get it finally sorted. Thinking of moving to KBIS when he is up for renewal.

Rolo was a little s*d last night - I may now be able to brush his legs with gay abandon, but trying to put a wet (with warm water!) sponge on them was clearly life threatenign. You would have sworn it was acid. :laugh: Think he has feather mites again so wanted to give them a good go with insecticidal shampoo - I gaev up in the end - he currently has 2 clean legs and 2 dirty ones. :laugh: He will have to cope with the mites! I will try agin with just a spong and water tonight, then tomorrow, then the day after, then the day after that, then ...........

I was heaard muttering under my breath last night "Why did I have to get a horse with so many issues!!" :)

I tied him up somewhere different last night - level ground where it was easier to look at him - I think he has grown! Think he is bigger than 14.2 now - or that could have been that he was seriously stressed out over being tied up somewhere different! He is such a plonker sometimes!

Big (gentle) hug to Loki :wub:

Awww Rolo you daft boy :wub: you should know by now that your mum only brings the acid out when you have been really really bad :laugh:

Loki was the same when he first came, suspicious of everything, I couldn't even wash his nose without him making people think I was secretly torturing him :rolleyes: He is sooo much better with me now I can do pretty much anything with him, but he doesn't trust other people. The saddler came out on Saturday and he ran his hand down his back and Loki nearly sat down :mellow: The saddler was worried he had a problem with his back but when I appiled pressure he didn't flinch :wub:

I don't know if it is possible with what he is doing but can you keep the sponge touching him regardless of his pratting around and once he has calmed take the sponge away immediately as reward, and build up that way, I found that really effective :)

Bless him, really makes you think what they have gone through in their short lives doesn't it.

Poor old Loki, its seems to be one thing after another for the poor chap at the moment. Can't wait to read a message from you to say he is fit and well and back out being ridden. Has anyone got a hackamore you can use on him before you put him back in a bit. It might just allow you to ride him slighly earlier and give his mouth a long rest before he has a bit in it.

Rolo obviously wants to make sure your on your toes, I mean you'd be bored if he behaved himself all the time!!

I have had a good week riding Kai, the schooling is going well. She has a favourite trick on the left rein of cantering on the wrong leg. My instructor said I am giving all the right signals as she goes to strike off on the correct leg, but swaps onto the wrong one as she goes into canter!! Today she cantered on the correct lead every time, including on the long side.

As for Trigger, I couldn't get anywhere near him the first couple of days, but we have gradually built it up over the week and today he had a brush and a cuddle and ate his feed from my hand. Which is a big improvement for a pony who has learned to stay far enough away that you can't catch him but close enough for you to throw him carrots and bread! He skin is not in great condition so we'll have to keep a close eye on it and he had some mats in his coat which I have cut out. He'll soon look smart.