UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Marion

As you are already at a distance God-Mummy to Sidney, I feel you can also be Kanes too!!!! :flowers: #

The reason I don't stable Kane is because

a) I prefer my horses to be field kept in a herd, to me it's a more natural option. (I'm lucky enough that I rent a field from a friend who has the same opinions so doesn't mind her field being trashed!!!) Alot of people have no choice as the yard owners demand the horses are kept in to protect the fields.

b) as a tough Irish Cob he doesn't need the protection finer breeds of horses require.

c) he would break the door down in around 30 seconds flat.

d) I don't have one!!

and e) they are alot of work and I'm essentially lazy :laugh: :laugh: .

Kane gets one feed a day in the winter, which consists mainly of chaff, meadow mix and loads of different fruit and veg...he also once a week gets a couple of bourbon biscuits cos he's a chocolate freak (hummm like his mum!! :laugh: ) In the summer he gets a small feed because he gets garlic to help keep the flies off.

I don't clip Kane because in the winter he doesn't do a huge amount of work, and until this year he was always kept out unrugged. This year because we've had such a huge amount of rain I've rugged him just to protect him from being constantly wet.

If you can find some good medication to stop you being allergic you are more than welcome to come visit (with George and Archie of course :ph34r_anim: ) and play with the foals!!! :wub: :wub:

Wow interesting about your great uncle, so its obviously in your blood!!

Edited by JACKYSIAN

The weight a horse can carry is the "bone" ratio...near the hock...the bigger the ration the more the horse can carry....for example a horse with an 8in bone can carry up to 13stone....people who think the taller the horse the more it can carry...WRONG!

I used to give mine a full clip in winter because we did a lot of eventing ... :wink:

Marion

As you are already at a distance God-Mummy to Sidney, I feel you can also be Kanes too!!!! :flowers: #

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh Jacky - thank you :flowers: Now I have a dog-son and a horse-son and very, very handsome boys they are too :biggrin: :wub: :wub:

I visited my friends horses a few years ago (she rescues them in poor condition from a local horse sale and brings them back to health) and wore a mask I got from work. I was able to stand at the other side of the gate and feed them some treats without too much trouble so I will see if I can another mask like that (it had a filter thingy wotsit on it) when I come to visit. The last time I was in close proximity to a horse he bit me boob and I had an enormous love bite there for ages :ohmy: :laugh:

Horsey peeps - why have the photos dried up :unsure: I demand more! :laugh:

Marion

Oh ok we will let you off for now then :D

Don't know if I missed it, but did you hack Kane out in the week as you planned, after his antics at the weekend, or did snow stop play?

No haven't had the chance...or the inclination in this weather!! :biggrin: BUT had a chat with Lynn (the farm owner) last night and apparently her husband has agreed that building some new brick stables is a good idea and he said he might as well make a small menage at the same time!!! :bigsmiley: It will mean me paying them abit more a week but if I get to use a school then I don't mind!!! Kane won't have to be stabled they will be for emergency use only. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Firstly all you horses are gorgeous.

This is my boy Gordie. We are at the trailblazers champs at stoneleigh

stoneleigh033lq8.th.jpg

stoneleigh081sj5.th.jpg

I also ride my friends horse and he lives with me and Gordie. He is appropraitely (sp) called trouble and is gordies boyfriend :biggrin:

trouble016xg3.th.jpg

well I will repeat the offer I made a while ago. George and Bailey are looking for people to ride them on any other day apart from Sundays. We have lovely hacking where we are,you can go where you like and for as long as you like. Both are good steady rides,will jump small jumps,good in traffic but not complete novice. We are at junction 22 of the M25,handy for the M1.A1 and M25,near St albans in Hertfordshire.

Dinkysfirstdayfeb42007013.jpg

George is a 16.3hh Czech Warmblood (left) and Bailey is Warmblood x Arab .