UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Can Cheese Be Frozen?

Karen

My Sainsburys order has just arrived and I've ended up with a huge lump of stilton instead of the usual segment! It says it has to be eaten within 3 days of being opened, which means I would have to make huge cauldrons of broccoli and stilton soup....so is it possible to freeze cheese?

Edited by Karen

You can freeze all cheeses only problem I've ever encountered was crumbly cheese becomes more crumbly after freezing :wacko:

OH used to work for one of the country's largest cheese companies and got loads of cheese free :rolleyes:

I had that as well, when I froze cheese it was quite crumbly when I wanted to use it later.

I grate cheese and freeze it that way. Then if I want some to sprinkle on a crumble, or toast, it's easily done! It also defrosts quickly to go in sarnies.

It's the only safe way for me to have cheese really, as if it's in the fridge I keep picking at it whenever I go there.... :rolleyes:

If you grate it and freeze it - try adding a dusting of cornflour - it helps stop it sticking together.......

I bought two large pieces of stilton the other day, reduced from £3 to £1.50 each - I hate the stuff, but Dave and the kids love it!!!

The only thing is that once you freeze cheese you 'kill' it and it will no longer continue to mature: once you take it out it will always be like that, or it will go off. So if you are freezing something like stilton, you need to make sure it's got to the stage where it's as you like it first: never freeze an immature cheese.

You can also freeze cheese sandwiches, (as long as they don't have lettuce and stuff in them cos it goes soggy). If you get them out of the fridge in the morning they should be defrosted but chilled at lunchtime, or you can stick them straight under the grill to make a toastie.