UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

I Want To Start Walking Purdie Again

Natpants

Hi,

For those who don't know, I've been taking Purdie to Angela Stockdale for 15 months, but recently, the last 6 months or so, I've struggled with money and my car being broken a lot. I am also finding that due to other commitments, I'm not aware early enough of when the workshops might be, and they've clashed with things like birthdays, weddings etc so I have missed quite a lot due to prior commitments, the last one I attended was back in August.

I've emailed Angela to ask what she thinks but she's away until the end of November and to be honest, I have pretty much made my mind up, but don't want to do more harm than good.

Because of Purdie's being "grounded", she hasn't been on a walk for 15 months, apart from when I naughtily took her out in the middle of the night (and she did really well).

We are trying to do some on-lead work because Purdie will almost always still be on a lead now, and muzzled, I will never trust her 100%. Her recall hasn't improved significantly in nearly 3 years, and I live in a city, so it means lead work from start to finish. I simply don't have the time to drive her to somewhere remote, and nowhere is truly remote in Birmingham unless I drive for miles! So whilst that can be done on weekends, weekdays it's lead only.

Most of the work we've done is off-lead at Ange's, who believes dogs should always be off-lead and muzzled where necessary (I think I've got that right, someone back me up?) BUT I can't do this - and won't - as I don't want to take the risk of losing my dog under a car's wheels or allowing her to duff up another dog (even though she will be muzzled, she could scare a dog).

We do do on-lead work and recall at the workshops but at the present rate we are going, this could take years longer.

I want to start walking her again, but am afraid that we will be put back to square one if I take her out too soon.

I do want to talk to Ange about this but wondered what you lot thought? Purdie is starting to get restless and has been really annoying and whiny for a few months now, and I can tell she's bored. I feel like everything I do with her is for food rewards, to try to prevent the boredom, and it's making her more food obsessed.

I can do with some constructive opinions please on whether I should wait until Purdie's been okayed to go out again. Ange has asked a few times about whether she's going out yet as I don't think she remembers what she's told me to as she sees me so rarely nowadays!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nat, have you got Angs phone number? If you want a chat to you I'm sure she wont mind me giving you her private mobile number. We have been doing some lead work recently in group. Have you thought about just taking Miss P out at weekends for a good run and not in the week. That way she wont increase her stress levels too much. I took Neo out today to the Lickey Hills in the woods. We didnt see one other person. It was great and he loved it. Having said that he was off lead most of the time. :unsure: I could always walk with you if you wanted. With either dog or neither? Maybe try and make it to the next workshop and we can try our demons together in training again first? Speak to you about it tomorrow. :flowers:

Edited by safneo

Car is broke Andrea :( Still got the transmission problem... so I can't go on a motorway til that's fixed...

Yes chat more tomorrow? Did you go shopping today? Perhaps I should PM you... :laugh:

Edit - I think I have her mob number actually! D'oh! Why didn't I think of that?

Edited by Natpants

Maybe you could get Ang to sort out your norty misbehaving car!! :biggrin: Give her a ring. She is always on about us walking together, though I think she means off lead. I wonder how our two would be in the same car????? Could possible put Neo's crate on the back seat with Miss P in the boot? MIght have to have a trial? :unsure:

I'd definitely give Ang a ring or have you tried emailing G? I'd definitely talk to her as she may have even forgotten that Purdie is grounded :laugh:

I never stopped taking mine out, I came to a compromise with Ang and walked them at 6 am and late in the evening so that I knew they definitely wouldn't see other dogs. I couldn't have not walked them as they are young lurchers who would have destroyed my house without a daily run but I am lucky and have places to walk them where I know I wont see other dogs

I have also walked them on the lead lots of the time (with Ang's approval) in areas where I can avoid offlead dogs coming anywhere near Luka (I can't always have him offlead as he has poor recall).

Yes, I think maybe Ange has forgotten as she has a problem with her memory, which may be why

she asks me every time if Purdie's out or not. She has been saying that as long as P is ok, to leave it, but I'm starting to feel she's not.

I've emailed them both and tried to ring G, will try Ange tomorrow I think.

Yes, I think maybe Ange has forgotten as she has a problem with her memory, which may be why

she asks me every time if Purdie's out or not. She has been saying that as long as P is ok, to leave it, but I'm starting to feel she's not.

I've emailed them both and tried to ring G, will try Ange tomorrow I think.

Nat, I think that Ang is thinking that you may be walking Miss P off lead. As she is so good in group (recall) she doesnt realise the problem recall wise, Miss P used to be outside of training.

Definately give her a ring or text her to ring you. :flowers:

:unsure: please?

Think Nat might have gone to beddy byes now.

In short its to make sure that stress levels (encountered out on walks) are kept to a minimum and so that the the dogs can't practise 'bad' behaviour on other unsuspecting animals.

We take them to Angelas to practise with 'stooge dogs' who are specifically selected for their training qualities. Our problem dogs are taught appropriate behaviour by dogs that can handle our dogs and will tell them in no uncetain terms that they are rude and to 'bog off' and to stop being brats! They learn very quickly :)

Who better to teach a 'norty' dog than a teacher dog.

Also, we dont want to add to the list of problem dogs by taking our dogs out and inflicting them on other peoples dogs :(

They still get training and games at home to compensate. :)

But I'm getting the impression that Purdy isn't getting enough stimulation at home and has been "grounded" for months?? Is this correct?

Hey, I'm doing my best :biggrin:

Please can we not have another bun fight about Angela Stockdale? I just want some opinions on the current situation.

Ta :flowers: