UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Barking

Wendbert

Ok, so Moog has been here for a month now. He's a Labrador, nearly 11 years old. He is very overweight and a bit deaf, but has no known health problems.

I've been told by my neighbour that he barks when I'm out. Apparently its worse when I am on a night shift. She said its a bark like there is someone there, and is sometimes at odd times in the night or steadily every half hour or so.

When I'm at work, the dogs have all of downstairs, so the sofa, chair and two dog beds between the three of them. I walk them before work and my neighbour comes in late morning to take them out and then pops bak in the afternoon to check on them/let them out for a wee. I then come home around 7pm. On a night shift, the routine is similar, except that my neighbour comes over at about 10pm and takes them round the block then comes back and settles them down for the night.

Last night there was apparently a bit of a scrap between Moog and Bumpy but I'm pretty sure it was down to my neighbour giving them treats and Moog getting over excited, jumping around and landing on Bumpy.

I have no idea why Moog is barking. Poppy never barks and Bumpy only barks at the door. Moog is quite vocal in that he squeeks when I come home or he gets excited but he doesn't bark through the night when I am here.

Any ideas what I can do? I live in the middle of a terrace of 3 houses, so I really need to try and resolve this.

I do have a webcam but since my broadband changed it times out after 15 minutes if I'm not using it :rolleyes: Also, because of the limited places I can put the laptop/camera, I can only see a small section of the room.

I really need to find out why and how to stop the barking, or instead of my neighbour letting me know about it, she'll be complaining :(

I do have a curtain over the door but there's no streetlights outside the house so its always pretty dark in here at night anyway. Plus my neighbour said although she initially thought there was something Moog was barking at, she couldn't hear anything outside, just Moog barking.

I'm going to be of no help at all here sorry :rolleyes: But as you know, we have Emma (Chesapeake) who is about 12 years old :wub: Since she joined us in December, she has always barked in the night after we have gone to bed :( End result: one of us (usually Glynne) gets up and sleeps on the couch. (Simply because we don't want to upset the neighbours). She then shuts up :rolleyes: We've tried all sorts of things, but it seems the only thing that keeps her quiet is our company :)

We are very lucky we are able to do this, but it is not practical for 99.9% people (including yourself :( )

Told you i wouldn't be of any help :rolleyes: Just thought i'd let you know your not alone :flowers:

I hope it's just a phase whilst Moog is trying to settle in :wink:

I don't know whether it is just a settling in phase, or something he has always done/always will do :( The neighbour one side is a bit odd and doesn't really speak to me but the one who mentioned the barking was away for 2 weeks, so the chances are Moog's been barking and I've not known.

The problem is, I can't change from working night shifts but if I can't sort it out, I can see her patience wearing out and I'd have to seriously consider Moog's future here ......... :mecry:

Does anyone know if a behaviourist would help at all?

Oh dear, I am sorry :(

Cassie, is also a bit deaf and suffers from this. When she first came to live with us she would randomly bark at nothing at all. Quite often at night. I think because of the limited hearing and age they have a much greater tendency to bark if they do pick up a noise or shadow. It was definately worse at the beginning whilst she was settling in.

I'm afraid the evil parents that we are, once we knew she was fine, we ignored all further barking. She stopped doing it. Now she barks only on the very odd occasion. With her I'm sure it was all part of the settling in phase.

We didn't try dap but it might well be worth a go. Definately make sure you black out the room/s as much as you can, as 'shapes' and shadows would set Cassie off as would certain noises - leave a radio on for that as that helps cancel out background noises.

In the meantime, depending on how tolerant your neighbours are, explain to them that Moog is just settling in and it will take him a wee while to feel comfortable and apologise. Also let them know that you are working on this and are aware that this is not ideal for all but it will be hopefully resolved soon. If people know you are taking steps to do something they are generally quite tolerant and sympathetic.

Try the dap, the black out and the radio and if you can, keep leaving them all together as he may well bark at the other two if they move and he can't see them properly/get to them, and give it another week before calling in a behaviourist.

It'll be OK :GroupHug:

Oh I just wanted to say, if he does this random barking thing when you are at home with him, as long as you know that it is not for any purpose such as wanting to go to the loo etc, ignore him. Don;t react at all. That worked for us. Basically I think Cassie got the message that we weren't worried/curious about the noises/shapes etc that she could hear and thus she shouldn't be either. :wink:

Edited by tegk68

Would they argue over food? Could you leave stuffed kongs and things to keep him occupied? I wonder what your neighbour means by a bark like someone is there?

An alarm bark is more like a woo-woo-woo-woo, but if he's barking for you to come home it will be more bark bark bark, then a pause while he waits for a response, and then bark bark bark again. That makes loadsa sense doesn't it? :rolleyes:

I wonder if ttouch might help? Sometimes deaf dogs bark lots cos they're not really aware of what they're doing, ttouch might help to bring awareness of his mouth? That said if he's not woofing all the time, it's unlikely to be that.

With a video camera, you wont need to see all of the house, if it records sound it will help you work out what's going on.

With a video camera, you wont need to see all of the house, if it records sound it will help you work out what's going on.

I was going to say if you don't have a video camera, could you at least leave a tape recorder on to record the sound, to see how often he is barking.

Also, just a thought, and probably a very random one, but when they're left during the night, do you leave them with any light on at all, or are they in total darkness? If they're normally left in complete darkness, could you try leaving a small light on, perhaps a light above the hob, or a small lamp in a far corner, or one of those plug-in night light things you can get for kids. Just in case that comforts him at all.

If he's only barking at night, and not when you are working day shifts, maybe there's a noise outside that is causing him to bark - like foxes perhaps. Maybe he's just having to get used to new night time sounds and perhaps he'll settle with them after a few weeks.

You could try giving him some rescue remedy, which wouldn't do any harm, or perhaps looking into other flower remedies.

Does Moog settle in the car? Not sure whereabouts you work, but would it be worth taking him with you at night, and settling him in the car with some blankets and a duvet. If it is really cold you could get a couple of snuggle safe heat pads to go under his duvet, and you could warm them up in the work microwave if they cool off (they are supposed to stay warm for 10 hours though).

But, that would probably be a last resort - try the other suggestions, offer your neighbours some ear plugs, and if that doesn't work, then try the car :wink:

Would they argue over food? Could you leave stuffed kongs and things to keep him occupied? I wonder what your neighbour means by a bark like someone is there?

An alarm bark is more like a woo-woo-woo-woo, but if he's barking for you to come home it will be more bark bark bark, then a pause while he waits for a response, and then bark bark bark again. That makes loadsa sense doesn't it? :rolleyes:

I wonder if ttouch might help? Sometimes deaf dogs bark lots cos they're not really aware of what they're doing, ttouch might help to bring awareness of his mouth? That said if he's not woofing all the time, it's unlikely to be that.

I can't leave them with Kongs, as Bumpy loses contact with his and usually Poppy grabs it, but Moog is very food orientated so I'd be worried that they would scrap over that.

I think, from what my neighbour has said, its a waiting for me to come home sort of bark. He's usually by the front door when I come home, and does bark when he sees the car pull up.

I don't have a video camera or tape recorder so can't record what goes on when I'm out :(

I was going to say if you don't have a video camera, could you at least leave a tape recorder on to record the sound, to see how often he is barking.

Also, just a thought, and probably a very random one, but when they're left during the night, do you leave them with any light on at all, or are they in total darkness? If they're normally left in complete darkness, could you try leaving a small light on, perhaps a light above the hob, or a small lamp in a far corner, or one of those plug-in night light things you can get for kids. Just in case that comforts him at all.

If he's only barking at night, and not when you are working day shifts, maybe there's a noise outside that is causing him to bark - like foxes perhaps. Maybe he's just having to get used to new night time sounds and perhaps he'll settle with them after a few weeks.

You could try giving him some rescue remedy, which wouldn't do any harm, or perhaps looking into other flower remedies.

I leave a lamp on in the living room thats on a timer and goes off at about 10.30pm. I have a night light that I can and will plug in, so it will be at skirting board level and see if that helps.

I'll start putting rescue remedy in their water and give him some before I go out. I'm not sure whether he can hear it, but I'll change the radio from a talking station to ClassicFM or something.

I can't get to the vet's until Thursday now but will get a couple of DAP's, one for upstairs and one for downstairs and try that.

My neighour thinks Moog is just a foster, so I've apologised but said that I'll do what I can. I'll pop a note through her door and try and explain that I am trying to sort the problems out but appreciate her letting me know that there is a problem, and hopefully that will keep things friendly.