UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Scared Of Puppy

flygirl

Helooo, just wanted a bit of advice, have a foster pup here, 7 week old baby girl who is just scrumptious. Charlie resident 7 year old greyhound has really suprised me .. by being scared of her!!!!!! He tries to stay out of her way as much as possible until she is still then sniffs her. He has grumbled a couple of times at her mainly when shes been boinging around him and hes cornered. Im a bit at this as i was most concerned he wouldnt actually like her never thought he would be frightened and unsure of her. Im sure like everything it will just take time for adjustment... Just wondered if theres anything i could/should be doing to make it easier for him

Thanks x

I have had foster puppies here before. 4 8 week old lab crosses and a 5 week old collie cross. Ice was terrified of the lot of them, and he's a german shepherd :ohmy: It was rather funny watching him run away from such a small puppy. Ice has his own bed and what he tended to do was sniff them when they were asleep or just being quiet. But when he had enough he took himself off to his crate. I always made sure they weren't allowed in there with him. Everytime he showed an interest in them i praised him and gave him a treat. It did take about three or four days of reassurance but it was worth it. The result was the picture in my avatar.

Let charlie go at his own pace. Make sure he's got a little sanctuary he can call his own where he can get away from the pup and if she's boinging on him or getting him cornered take her away and play with her with a toy. I could of course be talking cr@p and some of the more knowledgable peeps could completely show i know nothing by telling you what i did was completely wrong :laugh:

It's what i did with ice and we have now had 3 lots of puppies with no problems. good luck and we NEED piccies :flowers:

Can you put a baby/dog gate in a doorway so that they can see each other and have a sniff through the bars etc without either of them springing on the other and get to know each other gradually? It has worked for us, anyway.

:( Not well at all . Pup keeps on sitting at the gate tail wagging wanting to say hello to Charlie, He is on the other side snarling and drooling every time she comes near now. I have been sat on Charlies side trying to feed him hotdogs his favourite when pup comes near him but hes becoming so stressed out now he wont even take those :mecry:

:( Not well at all . Pup keeps on sitting at the gate tail wagging wanting to say hello to Charlie, He is on the other side snarling and drooling every time she comes near now. I have been sat on Charlies side trying to feed him hotdogs his favourite when pup comes near him but hes becoming so stressed out now he wont even take those :mecry:

PM'd you. In for a penny in for a pound. :ohmy:

Kazz x