UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Killing Field Of The Dog Industry

Brindlebabe

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree with you Tash!!!

When doing stalls for GA, I have found many members of the public very sympathetic to a ban.

I think many people realise that where profits clash with a dogs needs & welfare... the dogs are always going to suffer.

I just simply cannot see Gteyhound Racing being done "humanely" .. apart from the terrible killing of dogs, what about all the broken legs, etc that happen every day?? That why I feel I need to work towards a total boycott & ban of all greyhound racing.

Me three!

And agree with you too about the campaign side and, of course, your opinion!

People are also interested to hear about what happens before and during racing which often leads them to their own conclusion about what to do - ban racing, without us even suggesting it. Doing stalls and campaiging, if there was a comment most frequently used it would be 'its a disgrace, it should be stopped' is, I would say, the most frequent response.

I will be there and so will other GAS supporters...

I haven't put anything on here before cause there is no way that I could get to London :( . I know that up here our joke of a parliament has it's own separate animal welfare bill so if anything was going to be organised for here count me in.

Terri

Hey Terri

You are already on my list for stuff up here. I know you struggle with getting to Shawfield so don't worry about coming on Saturday.

Meantime watch this space and I'll email you to let you know whats needing done!

A x

p.s. - have you seen Seafield kennels lately - its awful :mad:

Guest Avon & Somerset G A

What is important is the welfare of the greys now. Yes we all want greyhound racing banned, but to sit back and say "we want an all out ban" and do nothing for the plight of the unwanted, retired and injured right now, is not right at all.

This story has really hit home with people who don't have a clue about the goings on in the industry. Things get banned because of public opinion . The public is starting to have an opinion on greyhound racing. Not to take part in such a march is surely a missed opportunity in swaying even more opinions.

I can't speak for everyone from Greyhound Action - but most of the people who support Avon & Somerset GA in the South West are involved in campaigning AND "hands on" rescue.

I would say that 99% of us got involved because we were volunteering for local sanctuaries and adopted or cared for rescued greys...

I used to do mainly rescue work, but felt like I was "bailing out the basement while there's a hole in the roof!" So now I do both campaigning & rescue work.

Of course rescue work needs to be done to save animals suffering now, but we are only rescuing a tip of the iceberg... thats why we need the campaigning as well to close down the tracks and gradually lessen the demand for greyhounds that are bred for racing until it becomes cmpletely unprofitable.

I've already emailed out to our GA supporters in the south west and lots of people are keen to come on the march. :)

Vanessa can reply in this forum if she chooses to do so, that is one of the reasons it was created :)

The email says people can offer to assist with the commitee, but it doesn't say how the committe will be formed, do we assume it's already been formed with the people listed then or will there be a vote?

Guest celia

Surely for a march/procession/demonstration the need is to have as broad and widely acceptable a rallying call as possible .eg. stop the slaughter .

How differing groups then broaden ,or narrow that message ,on their banners/ flyers etc is up to them?

If some people want to push a wheelbarrow as a symbolic gesture and some want to carry empty collars that too is up to them.

Shouldn't the focus be on widening the message and drawing in as many people as possible and allowing them to participate ..well encouraging them rather and to allow their imaginations and ideals to decide how and what message they want to to convey ?

Edited by celia

Allie the last info mentioning that was posted here this morning for everyone. (Vanessa took the plunge and sent that email round earlier this week to the ball rolling. She then sent out an update on the responses she received. She couldn't actually read the refuge chat section or post in it so I posted it here for everyone.) I will post it again below for those that didn't notice it.

'have had a fantastic response to my email. Initially it was sent to a few rescues on my contacts list, but it has been cross-posted on other forums and forwarded far and wide. I will be responding to everyone over the next couple of days so apologies if I haven't got back yet.

Rescues/Groups confirmed so far:

Oldies Club

Greyhound Gap

Greyhound Action Somerset

Greyhound Action Scotland

White Lodge

Houndsavers

Greyhounds in Need France (who will be sending delegates over)

Greyhound Rescue Wales

Epsom Canine Rescue

EDDR

Sighthounds On Line

Hope Rescue

Greyhound Welfare

Greyhound Compassion

Sighthound Welfare Trust

I have also had loads of phonecalls and emails from individuals wanting to get involved.

Have had a few discussions with peeps yesterday about the organisation. Maybe a small core group with a couple of people to make liason easier - myself, Amanda, Lisa and Abigail? Then sub-committees with specific remits such as P.R. and Media, Campaign Research, Transport, Permissions etc headed by those that have volunteered - for example Laura (elricc), Alica (kats n greys), Sam (Happy Little Green Squirrel), Amanda EDDR, John and Adrienne Hare have all offerred help?

If anyone wants to they can then volunteer to assist the committee they feel they can contribute to the most, for example they may be able to offer help with printing materials, have media contacts etc.

It is also hoped an Information Website can be site up where regular updates will be given together with email contact details.

Initial thinking is very early Septmeber - cooler for dogs, summer hols over, time to organise properly and advertise.

Ooh - I have another idea! How about someone at the front pushing a wheelbarrow with a fake dead greyhound in. The image in the photos had such an impact. Then the greyhound and barrow could be delivered by a small group only to either No 10, Parliament or the NGRC office (or all 3) together with a letter - not a petition or anything - a simple letter signed Animal Lovers United or something'

Hope that helps :)

Thanks Didnt see that :rolleyes: :biggrin: Didnt get the email so dont know anything except what ive managed to flick thro on here (but missing bits clearly!lol)

So the commitee has been decided on and is Vanessa amanda lisa and you? (which amanda is that? Sorry if i know you!!lol) What bits still need doing? Sorry im asking so many q's just slightly lost (for a change :wacko: :rolleyes: )

As I understand it she can as a guest now. Up until the time this forum was created she couldn't read nor respond because she was not able to view the chat section - hence me offering to post the info instead.

She can use her own name if she wants to or come on as any other name she chooses.

which amanda is that? Sorry if i know you!!lol

:laugh:

This Amanda :cool:

I fully agree with what GA are saying here - too many welfare reforms in the past which haven't worked and too many people have swayed that direction which has detracted from what the whole issue is - too many dogs, not enough homes. Dogs will die because no amount of welfare reforms or money will get more homes. Lord Dipstick makes his point about those who rehome non-greyhound breed homes rehoming greyhounds instead - all this would do is mean that non-greyhound breeds would be dying in their thousands.

The thing is that the slaughter to this scale has never been uncovered before (although this is NOT an isolated way of disposing of dogs - its happening elsewhere) and realistically the only way to stop this happening, is to prevent the cause - or ban racing

But you've summed up my personal thoughts on this, Celia, which is why I've decided to go ahead with it as an individual. Got to speak to the rest of the committee to see how they feel though, although I know some GAS supporters have pledged to come along.

Allie I dont know anything else sorry. I'm feeling quite stressed because no matter who does what, someone will feel left out. Personally I don't care who does what. I can't answer all the questions because.. well I shouldnt have to... so I'm going to go to bed now. Good night all :flowers:

awww no :( dont feel stressed :( Just wondered what was what and what needed sorting, thought you may know. You have done wonders running to n fro passing on msgs :flowers: :flowers: Go snuggle your hounds and have a break :)

Oh Hello amanda :biggrin:

Quick general question from non pointy person...isnt it best to aim for the sky and allow for room to get beaten back down a bit? (please bear in mind i know nothing about greys ect or racing!)

Hello MelP! :flowers: How are you?

Oh Hello amanda :biggrin:

Quick general question from non pointy person...isnt it best to aim for the sky and allow for room to get beaten back down a bit? (please bear in mind i know nothing about greys ect or racing!)

Hello Allie :laugh:

I think its best to aim for what is the only way to stop dogs dying. Backing down doesn't come in to it. This is the biggest problem because so many people believe that if you start at introducing welfare reforms things will get better for the dogs involved. What actually happens (this is what I think) is that all this does is creates a smoke screen for the industry to hide behind and continue what its doing all along. One example of this is the RGT. The industry 'uses' its RGT to show how it provides for the dogs which retire. Of course the RGT isn't big enough to rehome all the dogs because no organisation will ever be big enough for that. Instead what the industry (I mean the NGRC) does is drops the RGT name in everytime anyone questions what happens to the dogs when they retire. What this has shown is that the dogs are obviously NOT being homed and living happily ever after. So the NGRC do what the NGRC does when scandal befalls them - start to justify these mad figures on where their dogs are and blame the independant tracks :mad: Any self-respecting industry would shut its face and promise to do something. This is the whole issue behind this - the NGRC cannot be trusted to do any investigation themselves because you can guarantee no one will ever be held to account for this if they are left to it. Hope that explains a bit more about GA's position on this. They simply dont want to be involved in somethign else that will create a smokescreen for teh industry to keep doing what they are doing.

As for the march. What i would say is that give us time and a plan of action will be in place very soon. There are literally thousands of people now involved in this now (not just on this board or just internet forums in general) and it would be impossible to act in a democratic way to get the foundations of this down. As soon as there is info and a plan, it will be put out to everyone asking for help with different things (I think). You have to appreciate that we're all run ragged at the moment with this going on. I'm personally knackered after all the info requests, emails and phone calls sinc this story broke, so please bear with us :wink: