UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dogstar In The Community

Dogstar is not a building ( although we have a phyiscal base ) , 95 % of our work is direct in the local community , Dogstar is people walking miles to ask for help for a ill pet , Dogstar is sterilisations , vaccinations ,education , treatment for skin conditions , welfare checks and creating an attitude change that promotes animal welfare here in Sri Lanka

Meet Sandy

Sandys owners brought him into our sterilisation clinic on Saturday to ask for help with his skin condition and general health . We have agreed a treatment plan with them and will be working with them daily

IMG_0992_zps54bb3074.jpg

local dogs in the rice paddy near Sandy's house

IMG_1031_zps96bf256d.jpg

We have to cross the paddy to reach Sandy , you can see Dogstar's base in distance in this photo ( white house )

IMG_1064_zps598e5437.jpg

Part of Sandy's treatment plan involves additional nutrition , every day we are bringing up home prepared meals and supplements

IMG_1037_zps573276c3.jpg

IMG_1038_zpsb713360f.jpg

Sandy's skin is very dry , he has Mange and fungal skin infections but with our help we are confident he can fully recover

Despite appearances Sandy is a much loved dog , his family have not shunned him as many would , instead they came to us and asked for our help

IMG_1057_zps8c8dec6f.jpg

Grow fat and furry soon Sandy :) I'm so glad that your family love you enough to enlist Dogstar's help to make you better.

Much as I love seeing the photos of the dogs and cats that Dogstar treats, I also really appreciate seeing the photos of the buildings and countryside which sort of sets it in context.

• Like 1

Question for Mark or Sam

Is there anything in short supply over there that we can send? Dog collars? Leads? Meds? Food? Pencils for the kids?

We are desperate for Adovcate spot on as it can prevent Mange such as Sandy's from getting a real hold , or Frontline as it does fleas and Ticks both for dogs 0-10kg and 10-20kg and and Drontal tablets for worming

if anyone has any spare even if its recently out of date ( wormer ) or out of date ( Spot on ) please email [email protected] for postage details

Huge thanks

Sam x

Edited by Happylittlegreensquirrel

We *might* have some large dog spot on that we bought for Shara. Will have a look next time I am off :flowers:

Thank you so much thats so kind of you

Sam

Do you use the frontline that can be bought at pets at home? Or is the vet prescribed version you use? Assuming you don't use the bob Martin stuff sold at supermarkets?!

Mxxx

yes frontline or any spot on with Fipronil in seems to be available over the counter , your right we don't use Bob Martin ( crap and dangerous )

Tick treatments like advocate can't be brought without a prescription in the UK but can be brought from Australia and delivered direct to us here ( or indeed to UK for your own pets )

http://www.pets-megastore.com.au

• Like 1

Bless him, I hope he's soon back to health.

Just out of curiosity what were the "owners like"? I ask because it's perhaps easy to look at the photos of Sandy & judge them when used to UK conditions and unfamiliar with life in a country like Sri Lanka, yet you say they love him, walked to ask for help etc. Perhaps they too are starving, live in poverty, there but for the grace of God....... etc?

PS Before anyone is accused of libeling Bob Martin perhaps I should also say that these days they do sell a range of products including Fipronil based (and other previously prescription only wormers)

EG Defra on Bob Martin Flea Clear http://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/productinformationdatabase/UKPAR_Documents/UKPAR_333626.doc

including the statement "The products were designed as generics of the Front-Line reference products, and therefore contain the same quantitative composition."

Whilst one of there worming products is nitroscanate / based on lopatol

The dangers lie only in the user not reading / following instructions / using the appropriate product - eg using their permethrin based flea product on cats