UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dogstar In The Community

Bless him, I hope he's soon back to health.

Just out of curiosity what were the "owners like"? I ask because it's perhaps easy to look at the photos of Sandy & judge them when used to UK conditions and unfamiliar with life in a country like Sri Lanka, yet you say they love him, walked to ask for help etc. Perhaps they too are starving, live in poverty, there but for the grace of God....... etc?

Sandy's owners found him as a young pup on the roadside ( with mange ) and brought him to their home , they are tenant farmers on a small island of land surrounded by rice paddy and I would class them as very low income even by local standards

Basic mange treatments here plus transport to a private vet would be equal to 1-2 days wages which many households including theres would struggle to find. They are kind and decent folk who care deeply for Sandy and their older dog Chandi who we are also treating for Mange. They walked to us with Sandy to ask for help with his skin and because they want him sterilised when he is older ( we have already sterilised Chandi ) and vaccinated against Rabies

• Like 1

A week on and Sandy is responding well to daily treatment

Sandy's treatment plan involves daily visits and regular baths

IMG_1627_zps7568f8f5.jpg

Volunteer Helen helps Mark with bathing Sandy

IMG_1615_zpsc94cc18b.jpg

IMG_1616_zps85f9808b.jpg

Sandy's treatment plan is supported by nutritional supplements and home cooked food prepared daily at Dogstar

IMG_1623_zps89e6bee5.jpg

Post bath Sandy

IMG_1640_zps15f2785e.jpg

Post bath Sandy jumped straight into a pile of ash and rolled around He was rather pleased with the effect :love:

IMG_1643_zpsb7025bc6.jpg
  • Like 1

Bless , he looks a happy little chap in spite of everything, I'm glad he's now on the mend.

Not Sri Lanka but used to see stories from "similar such countries / economies", where people lived for a month on less than we'd spend on a packet of cigs or a couple of pints, almost a whole other world that many people here possibly couldn't even imagine :(

Bless , he looks a happy little chap in spite of everything, I'm glad he's now on the mend.

Not Sri Lanka but used to see stories from "similar such countries / economies", where people lived for a month on less than we'd spend on a packet of cigs or a couple of pints, almost a whole other world that many people here possibly couldn't even imagine :(

Sri Lanka is a country that does have pockets of dreadful poverty , We are currently working with a family ( and their dogs of course ) who have a daily income of around £2.50 ,

meanwhile the price of electricity is doubling ( won't affect them as they don't have power ) and inflation is running at around 20 % , there are many wealthy very wealthily people here as well but a lot of people struggle

• 3 weeks later...