UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Alternatives To Burgess Sensitive

Karen

Our usual food stockist had no supplies of Burgess foods yesterday which is a bit of a problem as the dogs and rabbits all eat Burgess food.

Looking at Burgess's web site, they seem to have a bit of a problem, almost everything is out of stock. I am hoping to hunt down some excel rabbit food locally in the next couple of days (it is a major problem to change the rabbits' food).

In case I can't get any sensitive food for the dogs, what would be a suitable alternative? Lily needs a something and rice diet and Rosie can't eat chicken. Almost all the hypo allergenic foods include chicken or chicken fat.

I've spotted a listing for Vitalin salmon which I might be able to get at the local Countrywide store. Has anyone tried this?

Edited to add that ideally I'd like both dogs to eat the same thing.

Edited by Karen

Try ringing your local kennels and see if they are due to put an order in with their wholesalers. Id never have thought of this, but as Ive converted a lot of my customers to burgess sensative, a few occasionally ring when they are running short and ask me to collect a bag for them. Its no hardship for me and their dogs dont have to change diets

for the rabbit... pets at home do a pellet food that is very similar to exel if you get stuck :)

Good thought, one of my customers is a kennels! Thank you.

I had forgotten about the PAH pellets but to be honest I have a bit of an aversion to buying anything from them while they still sell animals. I'm hopeful that I can pick up enough small bags of excel to keep going with that, but plan B is to introduce some Wagg optimum which is a similar pellet. It all has to be changed really slowly though.

Has anyone heard on the grapevine what the problem with Burgess is?

Thank you :)

Chappie is one of the ones made with chicken, but I'll investigate the others today. I dreamed about trying to find rabbit pellets last night, so I will be going out to hunt some down as my first job.

Interesting to hear about the promotion Helly, much better that than some awful reason for non-production.

I have just been to the feed merchant and he has several bags in of Burgess Sensitive and hasn't heard about a promotion at £10 a sack. He hasn't heard that Burgess are out of stock either. He gets a delivery every Thursday from Burgess and I pay £19 for a 15kg sack.

The feed merchant is Hutchinsons Feeds at Horbury Bridge for those in the Wakefield/Huddersfield area.

Thank you :)

Chappie is one of the ones made with chicken, but I'll investigate the others today. I dreamed about trying to find rabbit pellets last night, so I will be going out to hunt some down as my first job.

Interesting to hear about the promotion Helly, much better that than some awful reason for non-production.

the original flavour is made with fish :)

the £10 per sack promotion isnt for the public mrs mop, its for those of us who buy it wholesale. The fact it has no special offer price on the bag means shops can buy it for a tenner and still sell it at £19 so a much higher mark up.

Yes, I realised that, the feed merchant I go to is wholesale and retail.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this again, but I'm back to the same problem - no Burgess sensitive to be found!

I've read the ingredients of about 40 different bags of complete food and almost every single one contains chicken.

the original flavour is made with fish :)

Even Chappie original is "at least 4% chicken".

I was rather shocked at the price of JWB, so I've ended up buying Gelert lamb and rice which was the only remaining alternative.

Does anyone else use Gelert foods for their dog?