UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Toileting In The House Even With Back Door Open

Hi

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips I can pass to my parents as they are having trouble house training their new pup, Shes (I Think) nearly 5mths, They have the back door open all the time as the weathers nice now but Pucci will 99% of the time toilet in the house, Even when shes in the garden playing with the other dogs she will stop and come IN the house to toilet, As you can imagine little puddles and "presents" are quite frequent with a puppy :rolleyes: , They've never had problems house training any of their other dogs but Pucci is proving to be a little devil to house train, They have tried quite a few things ie: Praising when she goes outside etc (I can ask what methods they've tried if needed) but she wont go out side unless shes "caught short" which isnt often she normally makes it to the house to go :laugh: , The garden is 1 acre so plently of room for a little madam to "do her business" :rolleyes:

All the other 3 dogs are good as gold, Pucci was last to join the pack.

Any tips at all would be great :)

Heres The little madam herself

Any clues on her breed would be great too she's "ment" to be a chihuahua X pomerainian (sp?) :mellow:

(with their second youngest Tilly 1yr Hungarian Viszla)

DSCN2068.jpg

Sun bathing in the side of the decking :wub:

4d66re2.jpg

Who me?!?! :happy:

maz012.jpg

1 acre is a LOT of room, and to a small puppy, that's scarey, and she won't want to advertise the fact that she's there, small and vulnerable by leaving her poo and wee in the big wide world.

Owners often expect their puppies to 'know' to go outside, but actually, especially if they've been raised indoors, they only know to go away from their bed area - they look at anywhere in the house as away from the bed.........

The key, I believe, is NOT to leave the door open, but to physically take the puppy outside (on lead if necessary to concentrate the puppies mind - this is NOT playtime ;)) every half an hour to start with, and every time something exciting happens - after meals, after waking, after visitors arrive, and give her every chance to do the right thing, with gentle praise and a small food reward as she is in the process of doing it (not afterwards, as this teaches the puppy that stopping is what she is being rewarded for, and not when you get back inside)

HTH

PS - with another young dog in the house, make sure that each dog plays at least 3 times as much with the owners as with another dog, or they get too closely bonded to dogs and end up not being bothered about what the humans want.......

Edited by K9Fran

Ooooh isn't she cute :wub: she looks like Chi/JRT to me [not that I'd know :rolleyes: ] will watch this with interest having recently acquired a piddling poopie :laugh:

We think theres def some jrt in there too :laugh: she thinks shes a "big dog" too :rolleyes: Not as cute as she look :wink:

K9Fran - Thank u for the reply I will print it and give to my parents, Pucci wasnt bought up in a house until my parents got her she (I *think*) was born and lived in a kennel.

They've always had larger dogs and never had ANY problems with them house training or general training, So pucci is a bit of a shock :laugh:

They have a bedlington and a bulldog aswell as pucci and tilly.

Edited by Staffiexxx