UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Nasal Aspergillosis (fungal Infection Of The Nasal Cavity)

Dogsbody

Sincere apologies for starting a thread when I haven't actually introduced myself properly on this forum.

I run the Bristol branch of The Retired Greyhound Trust. A friend/colleague with a neighbouring Greyhound Rescue has the problem outlined below and we are urgently looking for help for this boy:-

Posted on behalf of Greyhound Welfare and I quote:-

"Flynn, aged 10 years was returned to Greyhound Welfare after 6 plus years in a home. Nasal problems were immediately apparent although he can still enjoy life and outings. Several weeks of tests, a biopsy and an x-ray have produced a diagnosis of Aspergillosis (fungal infection of the nasal cavity) Apparently it is often seen in cows and pigeons.

We estimate that it has been brewing for 12—18 months and we have two veterinary opinions that euthanasia would be the logical course in a dog of his age. Volunteers feel that while he can still have some quality of life and there are home carers willing to clear up after his nose bleeds and nasal congestion we need to look at any other options available.

Although he has nose bleeds, he does not appear to be suffering the associated back pain, laimness or swellings that herald the later stages."

If anyone has any experience or knowledge of this condition and could offer advice on where we go next to cure/ make Flynn more comfortable we would be extremely grateful to hear from you.

Flynn is with Greyhound Welfare. Contact number is Paula on 01633892846.

I have emailed Paula about this(hope she got it ok). I have had experience of this condition with a young Foxhound. Not very pleasant one at that due to the treatment regime. I still feel that if her treatment had been different she would possibly still be with us, though I think the vet concerned would probably disagree!

Hope all goes well for Flynn anyway. Hope Paula found the info' I gave her was useful :)