UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Stiffness In Greyhounds

snow

Over the past couple of weeks I have noticed a gradual stiffness and occasional limp when Nog first gets up and moves around after laying down for any length of time. It seems to be around the shoulder area but it's very hard to tell. I can manipulate the leg and shoulder fully without him flinching or showing any signs of discomfort. The stiffness passes very quickly and has not slowed him down in any way, he still boings around and runs at full tilt when out and about and he still runs around in the garden, it's really just for a couple of mins after he gets up.

We have tried lead walking only for a couple of days and that made no difference, and I've had him on glucosamine & chondroitlin for the past 10 days also with no improvement. He also gets sardines in oil mixed in with his food most days.

He's also taken to spending more time up here on the bed than he used to, prior to this he would be wherever I was, if I was downstairs he'd be on the sofa, if I was up here he'd either be beside me on the floor or in the bedroom, now however, he tends to go to bed rather than sleep on the sofa or in here.

We don't really know how old he is, when we adopted him the rescue put his age at around 3 but my vet thought he was no more than 18 months, so that puts his age somewhere between 3 1/2 and 5 yrs.

We lost our previous dog Olaf a lurcher to osteosarcoma in a very short space of time from having had a mild limp to being unable to weightbear at all was less than 10 days and we had to make the pts decision within 2 weeks of first noticing the limp.

Needless to say I am now starting to worry and think the worst.

Nog is not tattooed so again to the best of our knowledge has never raced, but we do think he may well have been coursed or worked.

Can anyone give me some ideas about what might be the cause of the stiffening aside from the outside chance of cancer?

Do greys stiffen up like this with age? If so what kind of age?

I am taking him to the vet this afternoon and whilst she is very knowledgeable about greys (she has several of her own plus theres a greyhound rescue group here that use our practice) it would be nice to have some ideas to put forward when we talk to her.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer as when Sid my saluki x does this it's usually related to a small strain :unsure:

I just wanted to say good luck at the vets for you both :GroupHug:

Edited by Annie

We have had experience with Fin doing this, but it ususally goes away easy enough.

I'm sure there are members on SWT who have experience of this and might be able to help with advice etc :)

I think it is very dangerous to assume that a limp is something that will just go away. It could have so many causes - some of which are life-threatening. I have had one who was limping because she had a cancerous growth on her shoulder.

So my advice would be to seek advice only from a vet on all things to do with health problems - whether it be an allopathic vet or a homeopathic vet. The latter have all received the clinical training of a regular vet anyway.

An internet site can help with a lot of things but only a qualified vet can diagnose a dog in front of him/her and prescribe the correct treatment. :)

Sorry if my post was poorly worded. I didn't mean to say that in Nog's case just leave it as it is - and indeed I agree that seeking vetrinary advice was the best action to take. I was just adding what we have experienced with Fin - and what that was like and because I aknowledge others may have different experiences that is why I suggested asking other sighthound owners :)