UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Colitis?

gooster

Over the weekend, when I was poo picking, I noticed that Charliegoo's poo has blood in it. I've seen it in about 3/4 over the weekend, and the poo itself is a browny red colour with bright red blood on the outside of it (sorry :huh: ) The poo was quite firm, but not firm enough for him to have really strained (if you get my drift).

I switched him onto Burns Active a couple of weeks ago, from the Burns Chicken & Rice, do you think that may be something to do with it. He is fine in himself, eating, drinking, weeing etc :unsure:

Could well be. What is in the Burns Active in comparison with the Chicken and Rice? Humph used to have colitis a lot when younger but improved on Autarky. Polly has had a couple of attacks, usually from eating something grotty on a walk. One thing which always started Humph off is if he got hold of a log, especially an oak log, and chewed some of the bark. Very acid stuff.

Chicken and brown rice

Brown Rice (min 63%), Chicken(min 20%), Oats, Peas, Chicken Oil,Sunflower Oil, Seaweed, Minerals & Vitamins

Typical Analysis/100g: Protein 18.5%, Oil 7.5%, Fibre 2.2% , Ash 7.0%, Vit A 8000 iu/kg, Vit D 1500 iu/kg, Vit E 50 iu/kg, Moisture 8%, Copper 15mg/kg, Sodium 0.51%, Calcium 1.1%, Phosphorus 0.63%, Magnesium 0.10%, EFA 2.6%, Carbohydrates 57%

Active

Contains: White Rice,Chicken,Chicken Oil, Oats, Peas, Linseed, Beet Pulp, Fish Meal, Sunflower Oil, Yucca, Seaweed, Minerals and Vitamins.

Typical Analysis/100g: Protein 24.0%, Oil 15.0%, Fibre 3.5%, Ash 9%, Vit A 20000 iu/kg, Vit D 1500 iu/kg, Vit E 160 iu/kg, Moisture 8%, Copper 15mg/kg, Sodium 0.5%, Calcium 1.58%, EFA 4.9%, Carbohydrates 40.5%

Soooo, more oil, white rice instead of brown, Linseed, Beet, fish meal and yucca :unsure:

He was on it for most of last year without any problems... I prefer him to have the active, as it gives him more energy when he's racing and training every week. Eddie used to have it, but he's a bit sensitive to chicken, so he's just going to have to have bigger portions of his normal stuff :unsure:

I did a quick search on the net, and saw that they can get IBS and blood in their faeces when they are hyper excitable dogs who are stressed. :unsure: Charliegoo is definitely a hyper excitable dog as he does everything at about 100mph all the time :unsure:

If there were no stresses in his life, visitors, staying away somewhere new etc, probably food related as it's usually one or t'other to start with at least.

Starve 24hours, restart on bland diet - something like chicken, rice and natural live yoghurt. Slippery elm can be good.

Cassie once had basically blood pour out of her - we'd gone away and stayed with friends - she couldn't cope. Never went away again, and she never got that bad again.

We were staying in my tent from Thursday till yesterday, but we do that every weekend in the summer, so it wasn't a new experience, and it was in a field he goes to every week for flyball training so it wasn't a brand new place for him :unsure:

Cromwell has had it for years, I have him on Supadog Senior and raw mince (can't remember but you know the stuff from PAH). BUT that said he does everyday clean the others bowls and they are all on working dog food (similar make up to active dog food) and so far we've not had a relapse for months!

He's the same as Charliegoo, very active (even at 12...sorry to tell you!!) and does suffer from terrible nerves but Colitis has never really effected him other than the odd day of discomfort!

I did a quick search on the net, and saw that they can get IBS and blood in their faeces when they are hyper excitable dogs who are stressed. :unsure: Charliegoo is definitely a hyper excitable dog as he does everything at about 100mph all the time :unsure:

One of our dogs has colitis, and is on Burns Fish & Rice. She was very hyperactive, and has her fair share of psychological "issues" due to spending the first 5 months of her life in kennels :angry: But she gets no treats and her colitis is fine now. I would be tempted to stop the Burns Active and just feed normal Burns and see if it improves.