UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Warning About Bones

Going to the dogs

I feed my dogs raw bones at least four times a week - either chicken wings or breast of lamb. I also get some other lamb bones from the butcher for free. Among these have been recently some neck bones - round with hard vertebrae, but with lots of meat on them.

Today Ivy, my little Springer, is in the Animal Hopsital in Bristol with a bone lodged in her oesophagus - just past her heart and just before the entrance to the stomach.

There were three options to sort this:

- try an endoscopy and pull the bone out through the mouth - could do irreparable damage to the oesophagus.

- try to push the bone into the stomach and then operate to remove it

- open up the thorax and do a major operation to remove the bone from where it was

In the end the vet rang me to say that option 1 had worked and that she has an ulcerated oesophogus and probably an infection. There doesn't seem to be permanent damage but it was touch and go....especially as she has an enlarged heart.

So please do avoid the neck bones if you feed raw bones. They are not easily broken and your dog might be tempted to do an Ivy and just gulp it down. :(

Hopefully Ivy will be able to come home in the next day or two. If option 3 had been decided upon she would have been intensive care for ages - if she had survived. :mecry:

Edited by Going to the dogs

I do hope Ivy is well soon :flowers: .

Chicken and turkey necks are much softer (more like a grisle), whereas lamb bones are harder. We happily feed turkey necks but have only given ours lamb bones once. We are a bit wussy when it comes to bones because our dogs are gannets, so will only feed turkey necks (chicken wings were trying to swallowed too whole :ohmy: ).

We now buy minced chicken and lamb carcasses so that they get their RMB portions, but let them chew on large knuckle bones to keep teeth clean.