UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Harry (polly Pops)

supafrisk

I'm struggling to find words and I don't know how to say this, I'm sorry if you can't understand it

My sweetheart Pol has gone to the bridge aged 27 to be reunited with Gemma, her best mate.

Harry (Pol) came to me in 1997. I was lookin for a horse to replace my Gemma so I could pension her off.

I saw her advertised as a 5 year old, green but needs schooling and decided I needed a challenge.

Pol, you were certainly that, weren't you babe? I tried you out and you bolted with me. Undeterred, I still bought you and I remember the first few weeks when you wouldn't do anything we asked, be it coming in from the field or being led out of the stable!

My Dad adored you, you were his kinda gal and many a time we'd find him leaning over your door, having a conversation with you. You loved his pipe, and his easygoing way with you. We'd been told that you'd had a bad time at the hands of a woman, so it wasn't surprising you two got along so well.

After that first time when I tried you out, I could never got on you, you'd rear on me and practically everyone else who tried. Even Dad, who you loved tried to ride you, and you had him off and split his eyebrow and gave him a black eye. He never once held it against you.

We tried to find the reason for your rearing, I never did and just assumed at the time that maybe you hadn't been broken at all.

I lost Gemma to a tumour in 1999, and having nothing rideable, told Mum I wanted to give you up to a charity so I had room for another. "You can't, it would break your Dad's heart", she replied.

So I kept you to keep the peace, and I remember how disgruntled/disappointed/resentful I was - I felt like a failure.

I cringe now when I think back to those days, losing Gemma was a huge blow, she was my soulmate. I'd tried and failed to be to you what I had been to Gemma, you didn't want to know.

We lost Dad in 2001, he went to build a brick wall at the age of 54 and never came home. I started to spend more time with you, as somehow I felt close to him whilst I was with you. And you still bloody didn't like me!!!

And then the shocker came a year later, you got cast and we had to get the vet out. The vet discovered upon his visit the heart murmur we didn't know about, and the fact that you were closer to thirty than five years old. We were stunned, and even more so when we got told that you also had a problem with the electrical impulses in your heart - that you could go at any time as your heart kept forgetting to beat. We never knew, had never questioned the person who sold her to me over her age, and couldn't tell anyway as your teeth were so worn down as you used to both crib bite and windsuck.

We bought Thug in 2004 and you thought all your christmases had come at once, not one but TWO geldings to fight over you, you loved all the attention. Even when Thug got on top of you each spring, you loved it and would lean over his door and tease him. He was devoted to you and followed you everywhere til the last.

I grew to love you as Dad did - and would take you treats and you'd eat them and ugg over the stable door at me, windsuck (ugg) and then lick me or the door or both. I knew you were on borrowed time, but you were doing so well I thought you'd always be here, the matriarch of our field.

Sadly I got the call today to say you were down in the field and couldn't get back up. I tried everything I could think of and then some. All four of us tried to lift you, even Thug, Cindy and Bramble came to help, and Heidi was never far from your side. Thug tried to rip your blankets off to get you up and couldn't understand we were trying to keep you warm, God love him.

I knew what the vet was going to say when she came, and I thought I could be strong for everyone but I blubbed as I kissed you goodbye and even the vet joined in.

And yet, you still refused to give up. The poor vet had to give you three doses instead of one to put you out of your pain and you fought each one and I will always love you for that - you never gave up, my girl.

Run free with Gem now my love, may all your dreams be sunny fields and polos now.

We were asked in here do our animals choose us, or do we choose our animals. You chose me, I know that now and I am so grateful you did.

Night Night Polly pops

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Night Night Polly pops, off to where the grass is greener and theres no more pain from old achey joints. You were obviously well loved, and hopefully 'Dad' will be there with a carrot or two help you over :mecry: :wub:

And big hugs for all those youve left behind, they'll be there with you in a blink of your eye :GroupHug:

Edited by chasta

• 2 weeks later...