UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Sidney The Luckiest Street Dog In Sri Lanka ( Happy Ending )

Meet Sidney the luckiest street dog in Sri Lanka
in February my veterinary team and I were working in a village about 15km away from from our normal area , on the way the driver of one of the vans thought he saw something by the side of the road and pulled over.
The then un named Sidney hiding in the undergrowth , totally and utterly terrified of people with chronic mange and 2 maggot infested ( bite ) wounds on his side
The vets and the driver managed to catch him and he started to scream , he did not stop screaming for over an hour and our very experienced veterinary assistant said its was the worst sound he had ever heard
I arrived just after the vets had cleaned him up and treated his wounds , they had placed him in a holding pen and when I sat in with him he was so traumatised he could not not even look at me
27thFeb_zps1cff6e9b.jpg
My husband Mark and I took him home to foster him and he spent the next 3 days screaming if anyone so much as looked at him but most of the time he stayed in his crate and tried to pretend the rest of the world did not exist
quite simply I have never seen or worked with such a emotionally damaged dog , the only time he was prepared to tolerant me was when i fed him , when I had to carry him outside to toilet he howled but as he was not prepared to toilet in his crate i had no choice
We took it at his own pace and placed his covered crate in our office and spoke to him gently for 5 days , that lunchtime I had left him alone in my office in his crate and one of our volunteers called me and said their was something wrong with him
when I ran to his crate he was standing on his back legs rattling the door , I opened it and he hopped out sat and looked at me with a look that said "well where the hell do you think you are going without me" and from then on he was my little shadow
2ndmarch_zpsd164a5ac.jpg
I introduced him to toys and playing which he thought was much fun especially at 3 am !
It took him a bit longer to let me handle him but by day 10 I could lift him with any protests and within a few more weeks he was happy to accept a fuss from Mark and our other staff
All the time we were treating his skin conditions and he was improving in front of our eyes and growing cheekier by the day
a few weeks later I forgot to puppy proof my bedroom when I went out and Sid thought my only good pair of shoes would make a great chew toy ,
18thMarch_zps767203bc.jpg
within a month he was simply unrecognisable ( 24th March )
24thMarchjpeg_zpsd6bfb5c6.jpg
and in April we started to look for a new home for him ( April 17th )
17thAPRIL_zps57af0fbb.jpg
and a lovely family came to see him recommended by another family who had adopted from us, he was really scared of so many new people in one day and kept hiding behind my legs , many people would have been put off but they were happy to keep visiting him , he then started to visit them and after a week went for a trial sleep over and he never came back :)
Sidney is now the beloved best friend of the families older boy Dinuska
29thApril707_n_zps6a5d1400.jpg
in just 8 weeks he was transformed from a terrified puppy suffering from some of the worst skin and emotional issues we have ever seen into a healthy puppy with a bright future ahead of him