UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Does Jack Need A Friend?

Pendlewitch

Jack seems to have got over the loss of Jumble very quickly and is back pretty much back to normal for Jack. He's fine in the house but can be a misery to walk until he meets up with friends he and Jumble knew, then he's crazy!

I have looked at loads of rescues but I keep looking for Cecil and Jumble lookalikes which I'm sure is not the way to go. Which leads me to the following!

I found a JRT bitch who has had to move as her owner is terminally ill, her daughter has taken the little dog but as she works full time she feels she is not giving the dog the attention she deserves. It's a bit complicated as I would be going through a rescue but they do not have kennels, they either foster or home from home but through the rescue if you get my drift. If in foster all dogs are neutered, if adopted from home you have to sign an agreement to neuter asap.

Now to the problems, the dog is approx 60 odd miles away and in the last week came into season, of course I'm not prepared to go any further with this until she come out of season. Another difficulty is I cannot take Jack on a round trip of 120 ish miles to go see the dog, he would be so stressed he would seem insane by the time we got there never mind having to come all the way back with him completely off his head.

It looks like the owners are anticipating me going and collecting the little dog and bringing her home with me which would mean I'm taking her into Jack's house without any prior introduction, not the best idea in my mind and I don't know if the rescue would allow it. Even if I could take him it would be a very short and basic intoduction and not really that useful. Maybe I could kennel her for a few days and do proper introductions but if it doesn't work out I would still have to return her.

She does sound near perfect, very like Jack in character, gets on with other dogs ok, is house and lead trained and a couch potato in the house but non of this means anything if they take a dislike to each other. Jack came into Jumble and Cecil's house not having met them before and it was ok but bringing an unknown dog into Jack's house could be a very different matter.

My head is in a whirl! Comments and opinions would be very much appreciated.

In a situation like this it could possible to arrange a second rescue to take over for you and cover all of the possibilities. ie one that does assessments in an emergency boarding situation; especially if you are covering the costs. Especially , sad to say if its a breed that can easily be rehomed eleswhere if all the plans fail. I hear that some have waiting lists for the smallers breeds.

Edited by lester

Well Jack's friend didn't work out, we were second reserve and the first one took her. Went to look at a Beagle at the same rescue, she was gorgeous but a nightmare to walk, she just powered from side to side and near on took me off my feet! She needs someone younger and stronger than me. There is a yorkie in now who can't be homed with children as he's been know to bite and a scruffy coated terrier coming in on Sunday so we will keep looking. If we are meant to have another one will turn up I'm sure. Would you believe it, there is a 3 month old staffy pup been given up, owners can't cope with her puppiness! At least she's in care and not passed from pillar to post.

I've been casually surfing dogs for sale and preloved etc just for interest and I'm horrified at the amount of puppies for sale, where do they all go? I can't see how they can all be absorbed, everyone in Britian must have at least 6 dogs. Then there's the silly named cross breeds, the jackapoos and cockerpoos etc, ok they make cute dogs but at £400 plus!. There was an advert on preloved for jug puppies due soon and there was a picture of the dogs mating!!! Not necessary I'm sure and I registered a complaint as inapropriate! I think the worst one was an ad for a Labkita, out crossing Akitas is not a good idea I'm sure.

Sorry that it didn't get to work out. You probably had a lucky escape with the beagle - most that I know have to have a super fit owner to get them back once they've been let off lead and have run off!

I caught someone I work with looking at an advert for jackerpoo puppies. She wasn't happy that I pointed out that jackerpoo was a posh name for a mongrel and that £350 was a bit steep! She works full time too, so I really hope that I've put her off.

Anyway, fingers crossed that fate will bring Jack a suitable new friend in time.

Edited by Karen

Oooo, hot news! Scruffy JRT (Flossie) is gorgeous, kennels rang me today so we dashed up to see her. She's the sweetest little thing, was brilliant with Jack who was not that brilliant with her to be honest, he didn't do anything horrid, just grumped. I've got a reserved sticker on her, we have to go walk her a few more times, she has to be spayed then she can come for a sleepover, then for a week. Hopefully Jack will realise just how nice she is and will come out from under his black cloud. OH likes her too which is kind of useful, he's as much of a grump as Jack! :)

I am now brain dead, I'm on nights and have had only 2 hours sleep but could not miss the opportunity with Flossie!