UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Twinkle And Her Pups , Living Literally In The Middle Of A Road

We found Twinkle and her pups last week living in the middle of the road in a village when we conducted a sterilisation outreach project. Twinkle is totally feral and terrified of humans and dispite our best efforts we cannot get within 20 feet of her . We discovered she had another pup that had been struck by a lorry 11 days previously and was being cared for by a local family , We have named her Kiki and transfered her to our vets.

June 1st 2013 Twinkle , Kianna and Kenzie , laying in the middle of the road ( taken with a zoom lens )

IMG_1874_zps88c3695b.jpg

June 2nd 2013 Twinkle ( taken with a zoom lens )

IMG_1958_zps407f7dd3.jpg

IMG_1961_zpse998677e.jpg

It took us 3 days to get the remaning 2 pups who have named Kianna and Kenzie and they are now safe on foster with Mark & I and are learning to trust people .

IMG_1978_zpsbc389eb7.jpg

IMG_1979_zpse6ba5430.jpg

Twinkle is now alone by the roadside and we along with the local villagers are feeding her and trying to build up a realtionship so we can treat her skin conditions and later sterilise her.

Twinkle , Kianna , Kenzie and Kiki really are the faces of canine overpopulation here in Sri Lanka , and why we believe our spay / neuter work is vital to preventing suffering and changing attitudes towards animal welfare

On Thursday we discovered Twinkle had a 4th pups was rescued from the roadside by a local teenager Tharuka and his family , Tharuka also asked if I would like to name his puppy :love: , as the others all had K names I have chosen Keanu

Twinkles 2 daughters Kianna and Kenzie are being fostered by Mark and I . All 3 pups have mange caught from Twinkle and are undergoing conventional mange treatment supplemented by Neem Oil which Kianna espically is benefiting from. Twinkle is still terrified of people and now even more nervous than ever of our tuk tuks so a local family are feeding her daily with food we are supplying and trying to build a bond with her so we can catch her for the treatment ( and sterilisation ) she urgently needs

Keanu after his bath this morning

Keanu_zps41a850d3.jpg

Kianna has the worst skin of the 3 pups but is responding well to treatment and neem oil

Kianna_zps08deb199.jpg

Kenzie is already a beautiful girl , when her hair fully grows back she will be stunning

Kenzie_zps3358d528.jpg