UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Jumble Had A Funny Turn

Pendlewitch

Took the dogs out today and Jumble dog was his usual noisy bouncy self, he found and old glove and was chucking it about when he suddenly froze on the spot. His head was down and he was sort of breathing very heavily throught the sides of his mouth and his heart was pounding. I though he had gone lame but as he tried to move he was very wobbly and un-corordinated, after about 5 minutes he seemed to improve and willingly came with me for about 50 yards but then seeemed to tire out so we went slowly back to the car. He had to have an hand in which is very unusual. Once at home he bounced out of the car barking like a loony so I thought I would just walk him round the playing field, got as far as the field and he had another funny do. Got him home ok, he's very quiet but is eating ok, he won't come up the stairs at all, again very unusual.

Bit of his history, he's a 13 year old border collie, he has awful hips and an enlarged palate. He also has an enlarged heart chamber but receives no treatment for this. Normally he's an absolute nutter, bouncing, barking and boinging all over the place and has always been a really nice natured but rather nervous dog. About 10 days ago he had an upset tummy so took him to the vet and he was awful, growling horribly and barking more than a bit aggressivly, once the vet had finished treating him he was back to normal. It took quite a few days to get him eating again but has been fine for about 6 days now. There have been other incidents of out of character aggression which did appear to be diet linked, once his food was changed back he seemed fine again. If he has another do or he does not pick up I will take him to the vet, the only reason I haven't taken him straight away is because it stresses him out so much it's impossible to get a real idea of how he actually is.

This latest episode is totally different to anything that has happened before and is worring me silly, if anyone has any ideas it would be very much appreciated!

How worrying :GroupHug:

Do you think that he's hurt himself while prancing around with the glove? It's the sort of thing that Rosie would do. She's got various arthritic joints but will still bounce around with a favourite toy (or prance in the snow) without a thought that she might be in pain afterwards.

I think I'd be taking him to the vet if you are in any doubt.

The way he's behaving now Karen I think you could be right. He's very reluctant to move from his bed and when he does he pulls his front legs back under him before standing up and I did think his back is a bit arched. Vet first thing tomorrow!

Rosie's sciatica makes her move a bit like that, but hope that Jumble has just pulled a muscle somewhere!

Let us know what the vet says.

Well Jumble was still very quiet this morning but his funny walk and hunched apperance has gone, went out for a wee and wobbled when he cocked his leg. So off to the vet, blood tests done with mild sedation and nothing showed up at all. Vet is convinced Jumble has had seizures and the events of the other week probably were as well so has put him on a steroid to see if things can be quietened down. Jum has found his bark at last, I never thought I would be so glad to hear the hysterical yap again!

I've been advised not to walk too far from the car in case we have problems but we do that anyway because of his flopping over habits, this was always put down to his enlarged soft palate but makes me wonder a tad now. Many thanks to all for good thoughts!