UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Long Lead Usage

Guest Vikinggirl

Guest Vikinggirl

Hi

Lucy is walked on a lead at all times - we are doing some work on recall but I could not consider letting her off at all presently as she is a) extremely nosey and b) very easily distracted.

So I bought a long lead, bit like a lunge lead I think with the thought in mind that I could use it to:

a) work on her recall - her being a little further away from me and so on, but also

b) let her get more exercise (we do loads of walking but she doesn't get the chance for a run other than the garden).

So last night we headed off for a field and we tried the 2. Recall was generally good - and she was clicked when she responded to her name and started to run back to me and then treated. But with regard to exercise - no chance!!! I became the maypole whilst she spent most of her time dancing round me with the lead in her mouth tying me up in knots - which she thoroughly enjoyed!!!! Once and again she would wander off which gave us the opportunity to recall.

Can anyone please offer me any advice on how to use one? I suppose in my mind I had an impression of her happily running around me on the length of lead like a pony in a circus ring :wacko: :wacko: :laugh:

We will go back tonight and perservere cos at least we are getting some recall done, but I'd really love her to feel free to run too!

Thanks in anticipation :flowers: :flowers:

For many dogs, 'excercise' is just a means to an end, and not something they actively seek out - they don't just run for the sake of running - but to chase or retreive or simply to get there quicker, so running round and round a la circus pony just won't do it :( Does she chase a ball? Do you have somebody who would come out with you and practise recalling between you?

Guest Vikinggirl
For many dogs, 'excercise' is just a means to an end, and not something they actively seek out - they don't just run for the sake of running - but to chase or retreive or simply to get there quicker, so running round and round a la circus pony just won't do it :( Does she chase a ball? Do you have somebody who would come out with you and practise recalling between you?

Yes, I know :rolleyes: - that was in "Dawn's world!!!!!" :laugh: :laugh:

Yes, I always have a pile of balls in the car so I will take one of those tonight and see how she goes.

I just thought she'd like that little bit more freedom without running off! Th :flowers: anks

• 2 weeks later...

To get Poppy moving i take her treat ration of the day with me to the park/field and with the cue "Ready Steady Go" (also makes a brill recall) i throw treats for her. If she cant find it which often happens :rolleyes: i run to it and tell her "Too slow" pick it up and we start all over again, she gets quickly bored of toys when out on walks so having it as a game keeps her really motivated.

It works well for my boy who just loves to run to as hes stuck on a long line (fear aggressive and easily distracted) it also teaches them to focus on me.

• 11 months later...

if shes food orientated but not really toy orientated when shes out (cos of the easy distraction), buy her a toy that has treats inside. keep it indoors for a while so she learns what its for, but then try using that outside. she probably wont bring it back, but you may have more success with her chasing it!

just an idea...