UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Not A Very Nice (Death) Question :(

bonniebird

Hi all, when my uncle Ginger died, on the actual day, he was in his 60s, his eyes turned ice blue, they were brown all of his life. My aunt Mary is dying in a hospice as I type, mum went to see her at the weekend and her eyes were ice blue, mum said she couldn't get over how they looked. When she went to see her today, they looked almost back to there normal colour :/ why do they do this? I googled it and have found one answer, but I will see if any of you say the same thing.

Sorry its a morbid question and thanks

Karen x

Thanks Jacobean. I feel really sorry for my mum too, when she lost her brother Ginger 10 years ago, she also lost her sister Christine 3 weeks before and now she has her elder sister Mary dying of lung cancer and the elder sister Joanie with breast cancer, horrid!

Well, as an educated guess, I would suggest it may be because blood is no longer flowing through the vessels in the iris, so the colour changes. Could be totally wrong though, as iris colour is caused by pigment, so I wouldn't have thought a cease in blood flow would cause that to change :unsure: :GroupHug:

I'm sorry to read of your Aunts illness (and the loss of your Uncle, though I'm not sure from your post how recent this was).

I'm not sure what the cause of it is or why they may have returned to normal (this sounds possibly a good sign to me). When my Uncle died last year his eyes changed in the days before too, never returning to their usual look. As I understood it such changes usually meant death to be quite imminent (days if lucky, but possibly hours)

I wish you and yours peace and comfort in the days ahead. :flowers:

Thanks all, Ian, Ginger my uncle died 10 years ago :) My aunt has gone down hill again today, ice blue eyes again and her cheeckbones are chiselled and she's weak. The answer online I read about blue eyes, is that when people die, there eyes stop getting wet and a film appears over them causing them to go blue, kind of makes sense, but its the only answer I can find. Interesting to see that Ian, your uncles eyes changed colour too. I hope for my aunt Mary that she doesn't linger on to long :( she won't get better, she has cancer in her lungs, kidneys, lymph nodes. She was taken in with pnuemonia originally, she has smoked constantly from a very young age and was on oxygen at home, she has emphezema and brittle bones from smoking too, not good, wish my sister would give up!

I think some people can look at it more "objectively" (eg feeling that death would be a release from suffering) whilst others feel the need not to "wish him / her dead" / keep up hope even where / until there is none. Maybe your sister is in the latter "group"?

My Uncle did fight incredibly hard or "linger" but although I wouldn't criticise your sisters hope you are of course absolutely right that Aunt Mary will not get better however much she may try - my uncle also had lung cancer but I don't remember seeing anything remotely like it in Dad whose lungs were fine & although I didn't ever ask my guess had therefore always been that the eye changes was probably an oxygen related thing.

I do know that the hospice nurses told us hearing was usually the last sense to go so if you haven't already been told this you may still want to talk to her even if she doesn't look as if she's able to hear / respond at all.

I've just tried to google it myself but I didn't find any authoritive or reliable looking answers either. This seemed to be about the nearest http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1556-4029.2008.00729.x/abstract

Well, my aunt Mary is now at peace :heart: she passed at 1.am today, Sleep tight Mary, we can't say anything on Facebook etc as there are some members of the family away. Thanks for your comments.

So sorry for your loss Bonniebird, but as you say, you aunt is at peace. Sleep tight Mary. xxx