UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dental Care

kittycat

I struggle to brush my dogs teeth, Rufus really doesn't like it and the other two just constantly lick and snot in my face. Phoenix is due in the vets next week for a dental and I know he's going to need quite a few removed.

I'm not convinced that denta sticks work and I'd rather they had natural treats. So what does everyone else do to look after their dogs teeth?

Personally I think DentaStix are awful things. My dogs get a nice raw meaty bone from either the butcher or the supermarkets a couple of times a week. Both dogs have beautiful teeth. Barty will be 9 in May and his little sister Chloe is 7. Barty has some tartar on one eye tooth because he doesn't like to chew both sides but Chloe's are gleaming white.

I have done this for about 18 years, my first dog who left us when he was 13 still had lovely white teeth when he died.

The real bonus is that these bones come free - as butchers have to pay to dispose of them.

HTH

Anne, Barty & Chloe

I struggle to brush my dogs teeth, Rufus really doesn't like it and the other two just constantly lick and snot in my face. Phoenix is due in the vets next week for a dental and I know he's going to need quite a few removed.

I'm not convinced that denta sticks work and I'd rather they had natural treats. So what does everyone else do to look after their dogs teeth?

Marrow bones are the best by far I've found. If you have freezer space to buy in bulk you can get them from some places which sell BARF meat.

Do you have a Morrisons near you? Our one puts lamb bones out in the meat section but you have to be quick and snap them up (they are usually about 50p for a few). The marrow bone type ones are better, although the ribs are okay as well but don't last nearly as long.

If you have a butcher nearby they may let you have some cheap as well.

Rawhide is good as well - a nice thick one takes them a while to chew through.

Another thing is rope toys - do they run and catch things? If they do then try it with a rope toy, cos that has a scraping action on the teeth as well.

If you use Logic Gel daily that kills some of the plaque so that it doesn't get as bad. You don't need to brush with it, just shove some on your finger and rub along the side of the teefs. Mine love the taste of it so they'll just lick it off my finger.

I actually bought myself a dental scraper so that I can scrape the plaque off their teefs if I need to - usually it's Max or Timmy - the other two chew sticks when we're out and about, which keeps their teefs clean.

Archie has beautiful white teeth. He will be 9 in May. He likes a rawhide chew and plays a lot with tuggy type toys.

He gets the occasional raw chicken wing too but whether or not that helps keep his teeth clean I know not! He also has the cubes from Fish4dogs plus lots of other things they produce as he's on their tasting panel.

I have never attempted to clean his teeth.

Thanks for the replies guys :flowers:

Some great tips there, i think i will start getting the raw hides back in and I've never heard of stagbars or fish4dogs, I think I will try those as well.

Phoenix is almost 12 and his teeth aren't that great. Hopefully after his dental these new ideas will stave off any further problems :flowers:

I'd say bones too but if you don't like that idea you can buy plaque off, petzlife oral or leba iii products that claim to naturally help clean teeth.

Dogs Trust have an on line video on teeth cleaning if that's any help to you