UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

War Horse

K9Fran

Apparently a high number of the surviving horses were sold into hard labour in Egypt, which is how the Brooke horse support group came about, and is still helping horses, donkeys etc over there to this day. Don't know if it's correct, but my daughter read somewhere that the horse star of the film ended up being shot because they could no longer afford to keep him. (I mean the real horse, not the actor horse in the film!)

I imagine the comment about the foal having a simple star and the adult horse having a long one is along the same lines of a child actor having blue eyes and the adult suddenly having brown ones...the continuity is wrong. No way would I watch this film, I'd be bawling like a baby, I know it!

• 2 weeks later...

A "mixed bag" there - from the nice tale to some awful things this country has done in history. :(

I messed up the figures - memory playing tricks. It was more like 1 million horses & around 65 million spent with less than 100,000 coming back (will try & dig it out / post correctly what it said)

I believe any animal used by the forces should be treated just as a soldier would be not treated like a tool - then again some of the injured / "damaged" soldiers could be treated a lot better I think :glare: I keep reading of so many ending up on the streets after they return, that just can't ever be right

Edited by Ian

Went to see it last night, fell asleep twice! Very disney, awful false sets and a disconnected daft story, the last scene against the sunset just made me laugh! Can't see why anyone would cry, there was nothing emotional about it.

(I'm cynical old bat!)

Superbly beautiful and amazingly trained horses though!

I would really love the see the stage play, much more my sort of thing.

Went to see it last night, fell asleep twice! Very disney, awful false sets and a disconnected daft story, the last scene against the sunset just made me laugh! Can't see why anyone would cry, there was nothing emotional about it.

(I'm cynical old bat!)

Superbly beautiful and amazingly trained horses though!

I would really love the see the stage play, much more my sort of thing.

Totally agree 100% only I didnt fall asleep.

Watched it on Wednesday and really disappointed.

• 3 weeks later...

According to the Sun article

1 million horses went to war only 65,000 came home (from Britian. It was estimated half a million were "lost" many that didn't return were sold or retired there. It's believed upto 8 million horses and 213,000 mules were used by all sides, thougfh there appears to be dispute as to how many died).

More tonnes of animal feed were shipped by the British army than ammunition

Andrew Robertshaw, historian & Director of the Royal Logistics Corps Museum in Surrey said "Tonne for tonne there was more horse fodder delivered in WW1 than ammunition" however despite claiming the horses to be generally well cared for he also said "Also, if a man steps on a personnel mine he loses a leg and goes home. If a horse steps on it he gets another horse"

There are apparently only 250 horses in the household cavalry today